‘Late night’ diners continue trying to order chocolate chip pancakes

patz_mikaelaraphael_file
Mikaela Raphael/File

The semester has reached the halfway mark, and students are still finding it difficult to accept that late-night dining has been replaced with extended dinner service until 11 p.m. The decision to cut back hours drew criticism from the student community, and some are handling the situation better than others. Students in denial continue to order foods off of the now-deceased late-night menu, and dining employees have noted that these instances haven’t slowed down since the beginning of the school year.

“People try to order chocolate chip pancakes a few times every hour,” said a cashier. “Every once in a while, I hear mozzarella sticks or chicken tenders — never the salmon plate.”

When asked about the most difficult part of the late-night transition, a manager had this to say: “The water bottles. Everyone tries to hide their water bottles from me after 10 p.m. No one has to be sneaky with their bottles. It’s not like that anymore.”

It’s clear that students have been unwilling to accept the fact that late-night culture has changed. They’ve been equally unwelcome to the idea that it’s three hours shorter.

“It’s hard to clean when there are people trying to get in and others just standing outside staring,” revealed a Crossroads janitor. “They start showing up right when we close, and some don’t leave until 2 a.m. We’ve already told them that we close earlier now, but they still come.”

Other employees have also had strange encounters. Their experiences include complaints for not getting their number called and outright demands for tater tots. While managers maintain that there is no longer a number system and that tater tots are served in the morning (which we don’t really understand), their messages are evidently not getting across.

Workers do not see the end in sight, with one stating that “there are as many today as there were a month ago. Some are old faces, some are new, but they almost all want chocolate chip pancakes.”

Most say they’re in denial, and others just call them crazy. But who can blame these students for hanging on to what’s most dear? We all once lived in a world where chocolate chip pancakes were served to us at midnight, and it seems that some of us continue to live in that world.

Contact Ryan Melvin at [email protected].

• flashsteve

Not a promising testimonial for today’s college students.