Man arrested on suspicion of brandishing weapon, biting officer near Dwight Way

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

A non-Berkeley resident was arrested on suspicion of brandishing a weapon, committing battery on a peace officer, resisting arrest and vandalizing a vehicle at the intersection of Dwight Way and Regent Street on Wednesday afternoon.

Travis Churchill, 33, allegedly threatened a police officer with a weapon before fleeing the scene on foot about 1:14 p.m., according to UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich. Once Churchill was detained, he allegedly attempted to resist arrest and bit the officer.

Reich said in an email that Churchill was transported to Alta Bates Summit Medical Center for medical evaluation. He was then committed to John George Psychiatric Pavilion for a psychiatric evaluation with a criminal hold.

The case is now closed by arrest, according to the UCPD crime log.

Check back for updates.

Contact Jessíca Jiménez at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.

• lspanker

Travis Churchill may or may not be a “Berkeley resident”, but it certainly isn’t the first time he has gotten into trouble in Berkeley:

Arrest Information for Travis Churchill

Arrest Name Travis Churchill
    Age 33
    Address XXXXXXNOMAD
    City, State BERKELEY, CA
    Arrest Date 2016-04-06
    Source Berkeley – UC
    Arrested For Possession of Controlled Substance
    Adw Or Assault W/Force Likely To Produce Gbi
    Bring Controlled Substance/Etc Into Prison
    Grand Theft Of Lost Property

https://www.localcrimenews.com/welcome/detail/17263413/travis-churchill-arrest.html

There was a felony assault or battery at 1 a.m. in the 2400 block of Durant Avenue. Police arrested 31-year-old Berkeley resident Travis Churchill, who is listed as transient, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. He remains in custody with a bail of $35,000, and is scheduled for a pretrial hearing Thursday. Police also arrested Churchill in 2010 in connection with a spate of arson incidents in Berkeley.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2015/10/21/berkeleyside-blotter-crime-in-berkeley-oct-1-7/

Berkeley police have arrested a man they believe set a trash can fire on Tuesday outside of Sam’s Market on Telegraph, one of a series of nine arson fires that have been plaguing the city.

Travis Eugene Churchill, 25, has been charged with one count of arson and is being held on $50,000 bail in Berkeley City Jail.

A video surveillance camera set up outside Sam’s Market on Telegraph filmed two males walking by around 3:50 a.m. on July 20. A few minutes later, the camera captured a trash bin on fire. Police arrested Churchill from People’s Park a short time later, according to a police department press release. Churchill allegedly was wearing similar clothes to one of the men filmed in the surveillance video.

Police believe there is a link between the fire set at Sam’s Market and the other arson fires, according to the press release.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2010/07/23/man-arrested-for-setting-arson-fire/