Spots for romance, relaxation in Berkeley

bigC_AliceLangford_file
Alice Langford/File

While many have left their hearts in San Francisco, students only leave puddles of tears when they come to Berkeley. But if you spend enough time here and done some exploring, you’d be surprised that there are indeed some romantic, and even relaxing, places to visit on campus and around town. If you and your significant other are looking for an appropriate setting to express your affections, or if you simply want a place to take a breather and unwind from exams, here are some places you might want to visit.

The top of the Campanile

Daniel Ho/File

Daniel Ho/File

UC Berkeley’s biggest landmark is the beloved Campanile (Italian for “bell tower”), also known as Sather Tower. It stands at 307 feet tall and overlooks the entire campus. Once you reach the top and stare far enough into the distance, you can even see San Francisco and the bay. Admission is free for UC Berkeley students, $3 for general admission and $2 for alumni and children ages 17 and under.

The UC Botanical Garden

Deborah Chen/Staff

Deborah Chen/Staff

The university’s 34-acre garden has a wide variety of plants from all over the world and is organized by the region they’re from. If you don’t want to go for the usual dozen roses for your next romantic gesture, the UC Botanical Garden isn’t a bad place to visit to get some new flower arrangement ideas. Admission is free for UC Berkeley students.

The Berkeley Rose Garden

Ana Isabel Dias/Staff

Ana Isabel Dias/Staff

This garden is not far from the Botanical Garden, making it a great additional stop during your day in nature. Not only do roses smell amazing, but these beautiful flowers can always brighten one’s day. The Berkeley Rose Garden has several kinds of roses and, when in bloom, it’s a great go-to romantic spot.

Lawrence Hall of Science

lawrence - kchan

The Lawrence Hall of Science is a fun and family-friendly public science center with a lot of interesting exhibits you can visit. Even if you’re not big on science, the center has a beautiful panoramic view of Berkeley and the San Francisco Bay.

The Big C

If you need to take a breather or want to go on a romantic hike, making a trek up to the Big C is definitely worth it. It’s another great lookout point in Berkeley that’s located away from all the chaos of the city and the campus and getting there is a great workout as well.

Alice Langford/File

Alice Langford/File

If that Berkeley life is getting you down, always remember that there’s still beauty all around you if you look for it.

Contact Claudia Marie Huynh at [email protected].