Picks of the week: Music and Halloween-themed events top list of Arts Department’s staff picks

picks_polyvinyl-records-courtesy-copy
Polyvinyl Records/Courtesy

Whether you’re already in the Halloween spirit or are still working your way through the throng of midterm season, there are plenty of excuses to find yourself out and about this week. Between karaoke nights, plays, concerts and Dracula-themed galas, there’s plenty to excited for in this week’s latest top picks from the Arts & Entertainment Department.

Wednesday, Oct. 18 | “Hamilton” Karaoke Night

Not that you need a reason to be at Pappy’s Grill & Sports Bar on a Wednesday night, but now you have one — UC Berkeley’s theater, dance and performance studies department will be hosting a karaoke night exclusively featuring songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hip-hop musical sensation “Hamilton.” Whether you’re there to belt “My Shot,” “You’ll Be Back,” “Satisfied” or literally any showstopping number in between, you’ll be in the company of fellow “Hamilton” fans and not have to worry about knowing the lyrics to every single complex rap verse. The event is free to anyone with a Cal ID and is set to kick off at 7 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 19 | Dracula Ball – Gala Under Glass

If you’ve been thirsting for a bloody good time, look no further than the Dracula Ball taking place at the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco. The annual event helps financially support the Cloud Forest Gallery, which is integral to maintaining the conservatory’s orchid collection. But don’t do it for the orchids, do it for yourself — there will be dancing, accompanied by Tezkatlipoka Aztec drumming, as well as music and poetry from Marisa Lenhardt and Alejandro Murguia, respectively. If none of that smells like fun, the Tigerlily Perfumery will also be present, offering a display of various scents. Rest assured, fellow vampires, the event takes place long after the sun goes down, from 5:30-9:30 p.m., and there will be food (but hopefully no garlic), drink and what promises to be a killer after-party. Tickets can be purchased here.

Friday, Oct. 20 | Jay Som, Palehound at Great American Music Hall

Jay Som is the musical project of 22-year-old Melina Duterte from Oakland. Duterte released her debut album, Turn Into, last year, capturing her nascent indie sound. With her latest album, Everybody Works, Duterte fully tapped into her own unique blend of introspectively experiential lyrics and soft guitars. Songs such as “The Bus Song” and “For Light” show the range of Jay Som’s sound, with her more peppy vocals in the former and raspy, almost-grungy vocals in the latter. This April, Jay Som played at Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco in a show that captured the all the reasons why it’s crucial to see bands in their native cities. Jay Som’s show at Great American Music Hall will begin at 9 p.m., with doors opening at 8 p.m., and tickets can be purchased here.

Saturday, Oct. 21 | Theatre de la Ville’s “State of Siege”

From Paris comes the Théâtre de la Ville, a theater troupe bringing to life Albert Camus’ “State of Siege,” which is based around plague, a totalitarian regime and the fear and chaos that overruns society. The play is directed by Emmanuel Demarcy-Mota, who also directed the Théâtre de la Ville’s 2014 performance at Cal Performances, “Six Characters in Search of an Author.” If the haunting visuals featured in Cal Performances’ website are anything to go by, the play promises to be marvelously nightmarish and disturbingly inspired — perfect for for the beginning of your weeklong Halloween pregame. This Saturday will be the first performance of two, and it will start at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here.

Sunday, Oct. 22 | Solange at the Greek Theatre

Solange’s 2016 album, A Seat at the Table, is a powerhouse — just like the captivating musician herself. Her performance at Outside Lands this year stunned the crowd with on-point choreography and production design that included heavily stylized lighting, as well as robots and color-coordinated costuming for the musicians on stage alongside Solange. Beyond aesthetics, Solange is a conscious musician. A Seat at the Table not only features songs that speak to Solange’s personal narratives, but also showcases anthems such as “Rise” and “Don’t Touch My Hair,” in addition to tracks that underscore Solange’s vocal pipes, such as “Cranes in the Sky.” Tickets for both nights of her performances at the Greek Theatre can be purchased here and here.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].