Best things to do solo in Berkeley

coloredited_emilyfilkin_bloglivinginberkeley
Emily Filkin/File

Alone time is a complicated concept for the average college student. Some days, we’re so busy that we spend most of our time cramming alone in the library and feeling sorry for ourselves. Other days, we’re constantly surrounded by floormates who won’t stop yelling in the lounge and roommates who bring back their entire friend group to your room. We fear and crave being alone at the same time, which can get confusing. We here at the Clog believe that the concept of being alone is daunting, but we want to provide you with a list of fun ways to fly solo that’ll make you wish you could be by yourself 24/7.

Chill out at a coffee shop.

Berkeley has no shortage of coffee shops. There’s no better way to take a break from the fast pace of UC Berkeley life than grabbing a latte at Caffe Strada or a Mint Mojito from Philz Coffee! Take the time to settle back with a cup of joe, people-watch, catch up on homework and read a book you’ve been meaning to get to all semester. The possibilities are endless. 

Nap on Memorial Glade.

There’s really nothing better than a nice nap on the glade on a sunny day. The days for the sun and warmth in Berkeley are waning, so grab a blanket and run to grab a spot on the grass before it’s too late! Pop your headphones in, sunbathe and maintain what’s left of your tan. There’s nothing a good nap on the glade can’t fix.

Wander around Mrs. Dalloway’s Bookstore.

Just as “Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself,” take a stroll by yourself down College Avenue to Elmwood and check out this little gem! Mrs. Dalloway’s Literary and Garden Arts is the perfect place to get lost in another world, whether it be in some fantasy kingdom far far away or post-WWI London. They have books, cute plants, cookbooks and a quaint array of knick-knacks and trinkets that you can browse through. Not to mention, it’s right next to Elmwood Cafe, where you can grab some great food and drinks after an afternoon of traveling the pages of a good book.

Swim laps.

One of the best activities to do in solitude is swimming. It gives you the chance to clear your mind of all your worries and get some exercise in. You can choose between Hearst Gym Pool, Spieker Pool, Golden Bear Pool or Strawberry Canyon Pool. Swimming laps is great because it’s an almost mindless activity where you can set your own pace and exercise by yourself. 

Take a hike.

There’s some great hikes up the hills here in Berkeley that are easily accessible and have incredible views of the bay and the evening sunset at the end of them! You can hike the Big C, the Berkeley Fire Trails or some trails in Tilden Regional Park. Hiking by yourself is fun, but we’d recommend letting someone back at home know where you’ll be hiking and when you’re going as a safety precaution.

Flying solo every once in a while is a healthy and necessary thing to make it through the stresses of life. Taking time to take care of yourself and your mental health is important, so whether you do one of the activities on our list or something else that makes you happy, remember that being alone isn’t a bad thing! So, get away from all the noise of regular life and block everything out — you deserve it.

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].