8 fun, fascinating and far-out things to do this Homecoming weekend

events_karenchow_file
Karen Chow/File

Homecoming Rally

There’s nothing better to pull you away from your midterms-induced stupor than some school spirit! Watch Cal cheerleading perform, and listen to some campus a cappella groups to reignite a flame in the dark, cold place where your enthusiasm for UC Berkeley used to be.

The Summer of Love

In celebration of the Summer of Love’s 50th anniversary, you can turn on, tune in and drop out at the Bancroft Library, which will be exhibiting plenty of pictures from the Haight-Ashbury scene and psychedelic rock posters, as well as personal papers from famous UC Berkeley alumna Joan Didion.

“How Dogs Make Us Human”

If UC Berkeley collectively loves any one thing, it’s dogs. Now, one UC Berkeley history professor will give an academic explanation for our undying fascination with man’s best friend. Not a dog person? Don’t worry. According to the description event on the UC Berkeley website, “cats will not be entirely ignored.”

How to Think with Hamilton, Then and Now

Much like the man himself, UC Berkeley students are young, scrappy and hungry –– so don’t throw away your shot to learn about Hamilton, both the musical and the historical figure. At this event, the chair of the campus’s history department will go over Hamilton’s relevance during his own lifetime and during ours.

A Fly in My Wine

If you must talk about bugs, it is best paired with wine and cheese. In a unique event, sponsored by UC Berkeley’s Essig Museum of Entomology, you can learn about “extraordinary arthropods” from some experts.

Olli Mustonen, Piano

Take a break from all the a capella groups and drunken game-day participants to listen to some classical music from Finnish pianist Olli Mustonen. He’ll be performing works by Beethoven and Schumann in Hertz Hall.

Using the Sun’s Power to Pull Water from the Desert

In a world where every major environmental event seems to indicate that the Earth is dying and the apocalypse is near, it’s nice to know that Berkeley researchers may be able to help us continue living on this planet for a little bit longer. In this lecture, Omar Yaghi, who is one of the five most-cited chemists in the world, will talk about how scientists can harvest the moisture in the atmosphere to deliver drinking fresh water to water-stressed areas.

Fiat Yuks: Cal Student Humor, Then and Now

Come for the bad pun in the event name, but stay for probably more bad puns? Bancroft Library is taking a look back at humor magazines of days past and from today to help you get an idea of what makes UC Berkeley students snicker.

Jessica Lynn is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jessicailynn.