What chick flicks should you watch this weekend?

coloredited_willowyang_films
Willow Yang/File

Sometimes, we just need to emotionally purge, and that’s okay. With midterms and everything else picking up speed around this time of year, we often search for ways to relieve our stresses and anxiety. There is, however, an antidote: chick flicks. Just cuddle between your sheets with your favorite drink and relax. Here’s a list, just for you, to help you pick which movies you should watch based on your mood this weekend.  

In the mood to cry? Try “P.S. I Love You.”

Even if you’ve seen it before, you know that it will bring you to tears every. Single. Time. Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank’s innocent and young love pulls your heartstrings every which way and reduces you to tears. This movie is also perfect for those of us who are feeling like we’ve veered off the track that we feel we were meant to be on, or for those of us who feel we have lost control of what we want out of our own lives (which can so often happen during college).

In the mood for Christmas? Try “The Holiday.”

We know what you’re thinking: “Jack Black is in a chick flick?” Yup, that’s right. But trust us, he’s charming as can be. The English snowscape combined with the classic Christmas chick flick soundtrack will satiate, or maybe even kindle, the yearly yearning for Christmas to get here faster. It also doesn’t hurt that a young Jude Law is truly a feast for the eyes.

In the mood for something heartwarming? Try “13 Going on 30.”

Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo have undeniable chemistry in this classic chick flick. This film will spark innocent memories of your childhood crush. This movie is also a great reminder that though we may all be in a rush to get out of school and just grow up already, sometimes it’s vital moments in our youth that we run into people we learn to treasure in adulthood.

In the mood to laugh? Try “Bridget Jones’s Diary.”

Renée Zellweger will absolutely captivate you in this classic British chick flick. A superstar cast including Hugh Grant and Colin Firth will have you singing out loud, frequently feeling secondhand embarrassment, and just having a great time in general. This film is great to watch with your friends, and relatable on many, many levels. Just remember, watch “Bridget Jones’s Diary,” not, we repeat, NOT, “Bridget Jones’s Baby.”

In the mood for nostalgia? Try “The Princess Diaries.”

The classic. This is how we met sweetheart actress Anne Hathaway. How could we forget the famous kiss between Mia and Michael, when Mia gracefully lifts her leg and flicks on every single light in the garden? We can all relate to the frizzy-haired, braces-wearing, awkward teen that Hathaway portrayed so well.

Next time you’re feeling a little out of sorts, remember that films are great buddies to live vicariously through for 120 minutes and resume life, hopefully with a lighter step.

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].