Berkeley residents aid police officers in making 4 arrests

brief_berkeleypolicedepartment_courtesy
Berkeley Police Department/Courtesy

Update 10/24/2017: This article has been updated with additional information from the Berkeley Police Department.

Berkeley community members played crucial roles in four arrests by the Berkeley Police Department in connection with theft, according to a Nixle alert issued Tuesday.

On Monday evening about 7:23 p.m., multiple witnesses called BPD after seeing a suspect allegedly steal a pair of headphones from a victim walking near Shattuck Avenue and Allston Way. One witness chased the suspect but lost him near Berkeley High School, the alert stated. A second witness, who was able to point BPD in the direction of the suspect, informed BPD that he had been approached by a “suspicious person” on the BHS campus who said police were searching for him.

Using the information from both witnesses, BPD arrested Marquis Joyce, 24, of Hayward at the Valero gas station in Berkeley. The headphones were recovered, according to the alert.

The second incident occurred Tuesday morning about 3:32 a.m., when a Berkeley resident called BPD about a potential auto burglary at McGee Avenue and Dwight Way. According to the alert, the witness said he saw a man allegedly taking items out of a parked pickup truck and putting them into a dark minivan driven by another suspect.
A similarly described minivan was stopped by BPD at Dwight Way and Jefferson Street with three men inside. The owner of the pickup truck was located and was able to identify hundreds of dollars worth of his power tools in the minivan. The three suspects, Roberto Evangelista, 53; John Sutherland, 47; and Christopher Samones, 32, were arrested on suspicion of burglary, conspiracy and possession of stolen property.

No one involved in the incidents sustained any injuries.

“These (case) closures come as a result of an involved community. We are grateful that these folks who saw something stayed on the phone and gave us good information,” BPD spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Frankel said. “It’s these people that lead to good arrests and safe communities.”

Contact Jack Austin at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @JackAustinDC.

• C Bierbauer78

If led by the nose, Berkeley Police can do their job. Otherwise they are lost, unless they can harass journalists after midnight or make traffic stops for driving while black, that they can manage by themselves.

• Edward

They have an excellent rate of solution of killings. They keep working on open cases for a long as it takes.

• lspanker

make traffic stops for driving while black

Name even one such instance – I bet you can’t.