Cal in NFL recap Week 6

goff_pdowney_file
Phillip Downey/File

With Aaron Rodgers gone for the foreseeable future, the Cal fantasy stat lines are going to more heavily rely on other players to pick up the slack. While this week big stat lines did not quite happen, Rams’ quarterback Jared Goff had the only notable of the day, as the only former Golden Bear to find the end zone. We’ll start with the (relative) highlight.

Jared Goff

22/37, 235 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 2 rush, 13 yards, 1 TD

The Los Angeles Rams were nothing short of dominant in their 33-0 shutout victory over the Arizona Cardinals, and Jared Goff proved once again he’s more than capable of leading this team. It is possible that Goff may shoulder some blame as the Rams failed to convert touchdowns from good scoring position, but he consistently lead the Rams’ offense into scoring position, which is a good trend for the future.

Rather than laser focus on a specific receiver, Goff completed passes to seven players, four of which had at least 40 yards. Not only did Goff complete an 18-yard touchdown pass to rookie Cooper Kupp, he also found the endzone with his own legs, adding a nine-yard touchdown run in the second quarter on a difficult scramble. The Rams go into their bye week with a 5-2 record before facing a bottom 10 ranked New York Giants’ secondary. With additional time to rest and gameplan, expect Goff to have a big game.

Keenan Allen

3 receptions, 41 yards

Another Chargers’ victory, but another relatively quiet day for Keenan Allen. Despite asserting himself as quarterback Philip Rivers’ clear number one option at the beginning of the Chargers’ season, as the Chargers begin to win more and more games, their offense has diversified, getting more players involved. Sunday’s victory over the Denver Broncos found only seven targets for Allen, his fewest so far this season. All of that said, Allen remains a constant threat to go off for a big game, and against a Patriots’ secondary ranked dead last in passing defense this season, Allen is a solid wide receiver start next Sunday in Foxborough.

DeSean Jackson

5 receptions, 73 yards

The Buccaneers had four receivers with 60 or more yards this last Sunday, including Jackson. It is difficult to predict which weeks will be exceptional outings for Jackson as he is very big-play dependent, and playing a top-five ranked Carolina Panthers’ secondary next week surely is not a great sign. Carolina lost their matchup against the Chicago Bears where Bears’ quarterback Mitch Trubisky only threw the ball seven times throughout the game. While Tampa Bay surely has more confidence in their quarterback than the Bears do, the respect for the Panthers’ secondary is real, and as such, expect the Buccaneers to rely on their rushing attack heavily next Sunday.

CJ Anderson

10 rush, 44 yards

Don’t blame Anderson too much for this one: the Broncos’ offense looked absolutely abysmal in their 21-0 shutout loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. Anderson actually remained the only bright spot in the game, averaging a respectable 4.4 yards per carry on limited touches. It was clear that Denver should have relied more on Anderson against a bottom tier Chargers’ run defense. While Anderson has shown to be a consistent enough offensive weapon himself, the Broncos’ next game is against the division leading Kansas City Chiefs, and fantasy owners should be hesitant to start anybody on the Broncos’ offense.

Marshawn Lynch

2 rush, 9 yards

This bizarre stat line is brought to you by the more bizarre day that Marshawn Lynch had last Thursday in the team’s victory against the Kansas City Chiefs.

In response to an altercation on the field, Lynch left the sideline and rushed to the field, where he found himself among the ruckus and made direct contact with a referee, resulting in an immediate ejection from the game as well as earning himself a one game suspension. But as always, Lynch handled it in style, taking the BART back from the game and having fun with fans.

The Raiders will likely be without Lynch when they face the Buffalo Bills next Sunday. Lynch is appealing the decision to the league, but the suspension is likely to hold. If fantasy owners have not already dropped Lynch during this lackluster fantasy season, now may be the time to let him go.

Giorgio Tavecchio

1/3 FG, 4/4 XP

The Raiders’ kicker missed his first field goal of the season, but ultimately nailed the game-winning extra point with no time left in the game. Tavecchio has had a relatively quiet season after his hot start, but Cal faithful fantasy owners can hold onto Tavecchio if they so desire.

Ethan Epstein writes for Bear Bytes, the Daily Californian’s sports blog. Contact him at [email protected].