7 mood-based Halloween movies you don’t want to miss

scream_crop_dimension-films
Dimension Films/Courtesy

We’re now more than three weeks into October, and we all know what that means — it’s time to get into your spookiest pajamas and plop yourself down for an all-night horror movie marathon. Despite what your friends tell you, Halloween is not just about frat-hopping or dropping meal points on the hottest costumes you can find. It’s about getting so far out of your comfort zone that you nearly fall out of your seat. If you’re looking for just the right film to watch based on your mood, we at the Clog got you covered.

“The Shining”

You’re feeling brave. You’re an EECS major, and after your daunting CS 61A midterm, nothing phases you. Ranked among the scariest horror movies of all time, “The Shining” includes a sketchy hotel and a man with mad psychic abilities, promising to keep you on edge throughout the duration of the entire movie.

“Scream”

This one’s perfect for when you just finished scrolling through your Instagram feed and you’ve got a million things to say about how basic people can be. Scream cleverly recognizes horror film clichés and repeatedly calls them out. This classic film from the ’90s is the equivalent of your ironic captions in response to those mainstream posts that you just can’t get enough of.

“Saw”

Entertain yourself with “Saw” if you feel like you’re up to watching something totally twisted and gory. This movie is filled with blood and suspense, making it the prime choice to satisfy your most disturbing needs. Perfect for those days that you’re feeling moved by your favorite pre-med prereqs.

“Halloweentown”

This is a great choice if you’re feeling nostalgic. A Disney Channel Original, “Halloweentown will take you back to the good days, when your greatest worry was how you would watch your two favorite television shows that were streaming at the same time. Make no mistake, while it is a child’s go-to, “Halloweentown” is scary. Demons and mysterious disappearances? Please.

“Get Out”

Centered around an interracial couple, “Get Out is just right for the social justice warrior in you. Before the protagonist discovers the horrors of the peculiar estate of his girlfriend’s parents, much of the disturbing behavior in the film is attributed to racial difference. This and other racial references are bound to make your skin crawl.

“The Wolf of Wall Street” (2013)

While not a conventional horror film, “The Wolf of Wall Street” depicts the story of a stockbroker who rises in fortune but ultimately falls, making it absolutely frightening to any potential pre-Haas major. This movie is ideal for those days that you walk out of your Econ class feeling inspired.

“Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret”

Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret is a documentary concerned with global warming, deforestation and animal agriculture — perfect for the environmentalist in you! This movie is startling enough to make you want to take action, making it a great choice for those days that you feel like saving the earth. Maybe it’s time to finally consider being a vegan. After all, you go to UC Berkeley.

Get a group of friends together, and make this Halloween especially memorable with these spooky hits!

Contact Shaked Salem at [email protected].