Being a tourist at home: Best basic places to visit in San Francisco

sf1_anniehatton_staff
Annie Hatton/Staff

One of the best parts about attending UC Berkeley is our proximity to San Francisco (aka ‘Cisco or San Fran if we’re really trying to play the role of a tourist). People travel from all over the world to see this city, so us Golden Bears need to do our best to take advantage of it. And what better way to do this than by partaking in a bunch of touristy explorations? Don’t lie, we all know that the tourist attractions are secretly amongst the most fun things to do. Here are some amazing places to go when attempting to channel your inner tourist.

Twin Peaks

This is by far one of the coolest look out points in the entire city. You have a view of downtown, the Golden Gate Bridge and the entire bay area. Just don’t blow away!

img_7045

Annie Hatton/Staff

Ferry Building

While the building itself is obviously beautiful, the inside is equally as great, with loads of cute shops and restaurants. It’s prime location, right off of the Embarcadero BART station, and its killer views of the water make it a perfect tourist destination.

img_4709

Annie Hatton/Staff

Yerba Buena Gardens/SFMOMA

SFMOMA is arguably the coolest museum in the city and we highly recommend a visit —even if the only reason that you’re going is to post an Instagram to prove how hipster and cultured you are. Right across the street are the Yerba Buena Gardens, which basically is a cute little park with water features and a tea house. A touristy day in the city well spent!

img_3898

Annie Hatton/Staff

Clarion Alley

One of the coolest art installations in the city. With a collection humorous, empowering and beautiful murals, everyone will be able to find a favorite. Perhaps the best part is that it’s down a random alley right in the middle of the Mission District.

Annie Hatton/Staff

Annie Hatton/Staff

Palace of Fine Arts

Without a doubt, this is one of the most beautiful attractions the San Francisco has to offer. Simply walking around the palace-like structures, pond with swans and impeccable landscaping will take your breath away. You also have very high chances of witnessing a wedding or wedding photo shoot — an extra bonus!

Annie Hatton/Staff

Annie Hatton/Staff

Crissy Field

This field is the absolute perfect spot for a picnic, as you’re right on the water. If you forget to bring your own food, bread bowls are sold at the restaurant towards the foot of the bridge. We strongly recommend grabbing one of those, bringing a blanket to chill on and packing a camera to take stunning pictures.

Annie Hatton/Staff

Annie Hatton/Staff

One could spend weeks in this city without ever getting bored — it’s truly one of the best places in the world.  We at the Clog hopes that these recommendations prove to be helpful if you’re trying to get your tourist on, showing loved ones around or needing a city day to escape the Berkeley bubble. Happy exploring!

Contact Annie Hatton at [email protected].