Halloween events happening in Berkeley and the East Bay

Berkeley-At-Night-(2)
Cesar Ruiz/File

Halloween is just around the corner, and the East Bay is taking full advantage of it. Halloween is the perfect time to express your creative side, embrace your ghoulishness and confront your fears. If you and your friends are unsure of how to celebrate this year, here’s a list of events going on around Berkeley up until Halloween.

Halloween BlackLight Art Show and “Dark Side of the Grimm” installation in Alameda

Oct. 28

The Halloween BlackLight Art Show occurs annually in Alameda, but this year they’ve set up an installation based on a Grimm fairytale: “The Three Little Men in the Wood.” The BlackLight Art Show immerses visitors in a space where art comes to life in a completely unique way. This year’s installation is a collaborative effort between five local artists. Admission is free to the public and based on a donation basis, if you wish.

House of Screams in Berkeley

Oct. 31

This Halloween classic is just a couple minutes away, as it is located on Oregon Street. According to the city’s Parks, Recreation and Waterfront Department, this is the “biggest and scariest haunted house in Berkeley.” So grab your pals, get dressed up in your costumes and head over to Oregon Street for the biggest scare of your night.

Halloween Community Parade in Berkeley

Oct. 31

This Halloween parade happens in the afternoon to evening, so it won’t interfere with your midnight adventures. The city of Berkeley has planned this parade to be a fun, creative festival for all. The parade will make its way around San Pablo Park on Oregon Street. Don’t worry, the parade isn’t all that’s in store — there’s a costume contest, freeze dance, food and goodie bags. This may be an event geared towards families, but what’s so wrong about revisiting those Halloween times as a kid?

Oakland School for the Arts’ “DERANGED” haunted house in Oakland

Oct. 27-29

This haunted house features a setup that holds the spirits of mentally unstable patients. Unfortunately, it seems that all of their doctors have fled. You’ll need to muster all your courage and many, many friends to prepare yourself to enter this house this Halloween. The admissions fee is $5 for students under 18 and $8 for adults. You can purchase these tickets online.

Piedmont Avenue Pumpkin Patch and Haunted House in Oakland

Month of October

The great thing about this Oakland haunted house is that it’s two haunted houses — one is for kids and adults who aren’t yet ready for the “advanced” haunted house, which is for those who are not easily scared. The pumpkin patch is free, but the haunted house has an $8 admission fee.

Boo! Bark, Brews + Bites in Oakland

Oct. 28

“Boo! Bark, Brews + Bites” in Oakland runs Oct. 28 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Oakland waterfront in Jack London Square. The event is guaranteed to have lots of dog-friendly activities, along with food and drinks for their human companions. Some of the events include paw-painting and crafts, a photo booth and even a pet psychic. Find a friend with an adorable pooch and head over to Oakland this Saturday for some major fun!

If you have time to spare, check these events out with your friends. What is better than getting dressed up and celebrating with art, food and community at this time of the year?

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].