Delicious breakfasts that can be made in your dorm

frenchtoast_mraphael_ss
Mikaela Raphael/File

It’s true that dorm life isn’t the most glamorous thing in the world, but that doesn’t mean you have to live off of your value pack of granola bars for breakfast for the rest of the year. It may not be pancakes, eggs and bacon, but there are delicious food that you can prepare in the comfort and convenience of your own room using minimal tools and ingredients.

French toast

It’s a classic comfort food in a cup. First, you need bread, duh! The best option is a soft white bread, but honestly, anything will work. An old croissant, whole wheat or even a pile of corn tortillas (OK, don’t take our word for that), but you get the point. Cut your bread up into small cubes and melt a bit of butter in your mug. Place your bread into the mug and push them down so they’re packed, but not so tightly that it looks like one big blob. In a separate cup, mix together an egg, a few spoonfuls of milk, a dash of cinnamon and even some vanilla extract if you have it. Pour the mixture into your bread cup and give it a minute to soak down into the bread. Stick your mug in the microwave. Start by heating it one minute and add a few seconds at a time until it’s cooked how you like it. Add toppings like syrup or honey, whipped cream, fruit or nut butter based on your preferences.

Yogurt parfait

Parfaits are one of the best ways to start the day. For this one, it’s all about the toppings. Seriously. It can make or break the dish. I personally like to use plain greek yogurt because I love the thick consistency, slight tartness and it’s high in protein. Plus, the extra add-ins will provide all the flavor and sweetness your heart desires. For a heavenly parfait add some of your favorite fruits (berries and bananas for me), dried mulberries (hard to find, but SO worth it), chocolate chips, granola and a drizzle of honey on top.

Oatmeal

We all know that instant oatmeal packets aren’t anything new. And while it’s delicious, it can get a little boring. But hear me out. There are so many ways to step-up your oat game. Start by preparing your oats in the microwave, then get creative with toppings. Mixing in Greek yogurt with honey will add creaminess, thickness, sweetness and protein. For a saltier option, add in some of your favorite nuts or nut butter. Or if you want something refreshing, add some of your fruits like berries, bananas and apples. You can even mix in pumpkin puree, maple syrup and cinnamon for a fall twist. There are all kinds of possibilities out there.

Savory toast

Toast is the crispy and buttery breakfast dish we all loved as kids and college is the perfect time to upgrade this basic staple to something a bit more filling and fun. You can even make some mind blowing toast with or without a toaster! Top two pieces of whole wheat toast with hummus, avocado or greens (or all three if you can!). You can even microwave some eggs to make a balanced meal with some extra flavor and protein.

Omelette

Eggs are a classic breakfast food. And I’m not talking about the hardboiled eggs in a bag from Trader Joe’s. For this recipe, simply crack two eggs into a mug, add salt and pepper (if you have it) and mix thoroughly. Then add some of your favorite veggies, cheese or deli meat and mix. Pop it in the microwave until the eggs rise and are fully cooked. You can test it out by poking it with a fork to make sure that there’s no liquid left behind because uncooked eggs aren’t the best. When ready, you can enjoy them on their own or have it with some toast or fruit!

Chia seed pudding

The chia seed has been having a moment for what seems like the last five years — especially after discovering you could also use them to make creamy, dreamy, healthy pudding. This meal is also great for those who rush around in the morning because you have to prepare it the night before. All you’ll need is one cup milk of your choice, two tablespoons of chia seeds and one tablespoon of honey. Put all of the ingredients into a mason jar, or any jar with a lid, and shake until they are thoroughly combined. Chill it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Now you get to be creative and top your pudding with fruit, nuts, nut butter, granola, or any other toppings. Pro-tip: If you’re a chocoholic, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the mix for chocolate chia pudding and it’s basically like a healthy dessert for breakfast. Win-win.

Contact Dorsa Moslehi at [email protected].