Cherry Glazerr delivers impressive show to unimpressed crowd

cherry-glazerr_felisha-tolentino-courtesy-copy
Felisha Tolentino/Courtesy

Although Cherry Glazerr was meant to open the show, they embodied the persona of a headliner. Frontwoman Clementine Creevy sauntered on stage with the presence of a much more seasoned performer. With a black Stratocaster in hand and a messy bun that teetered on the point of nonexistence, Creevy opened the concert with the aptly named “Nuclear Bomb.”  

Unfortunately, Cherry Glazerr’s explosive energy was a miss with the audience.

On Oct. 28, the Fox Theater was treated to a enthusiastic opening by Cherry Glazerr, which was then followed by the headlining band, Slowdive. While both groups put out a good show in their own right, one critique must be articulated Cherry Glazerr and Slowdive are simply an odd couple.

Cherry Glazerr’s oeuvre is characterized by chaotic yet inspired bursts of sound. In a nutshell, its songs have a tendency to be loud, short and full of attitude — they function almost as instant gratification, and fans don’t have to wait long for a payoff.

Conversely, while no stranger to high volumes, Slowdive builds its sound in a slightly different way. Insight into a Slowdive track can be found in the band’s very name each song takes in time to construct a wall of sound by layering complex ambient noises on top of each other. Therefore, the two bands take radically different approaches, and their collaboration resulted in dubious success with the audience.

In addition to sonic differences, Slowdive also attracts a slightly older fan base than the lesser-known opener. Cherry Glazerr is still the new kid on the block the band was only formed in 2013. Therefore, this generational disparity might also partially explain the lack of the audience enthusiasm.

Cherry Glazerr did everything right, but the crowd simply didn’t reciprocate the energy.

The fans that stood waiting for Slowdive’s set were undoubtedly confused and potentially alienated by Cherry Glazerr’s garageband aesthetic. And that’s a shame, considering Creevy’s talent as a performer. Creevy utilised all the tools at her disposal; her excellent vocal range was showcased in songs such as “Told You I’d Be with the Guys,” where Creevy expertly oscillates between a high pitch and more powerful screeches. The song’s introductory riff is catchy and infectious, and it succeeds in hooking the audience’s immediate attention.

The band’s ending track, “Grilled Cheese,” truly shined in a live setting. This relatively simple track drastically evolved past the album version into a deafening crescendo of collaborative jamming between all band members. This synchronized jam session lasted multiple minutes, and it was an impressive ending point.

Creevy doesn’t shy away from more abstract elements of performance. She screams, bangs her head to every hit of the drumbeat and thrashes around repeatedly with her tongue sticking out.

She also makes sure the audience knows exactly who is responsible for each guitar solo. During these moments, Creevy takes center stage in an expressive display of musical prowess.

One of the best moments of the show occurred when the lights cut and the band was presented in relative darkness, despite being halfway through one of Creevy’s solos. However, fans could still see Creevy’s fingers perfectly execute a complicated lick thanks to her glow-in-the-dark nail polish that shined through the darkness.

While Creevy captured most of the audience’s attention, the band’s keyboardist Sasami Ashworth also deserves a mention for her talented backup vocals and the energy she brought to the keys. At one point, Ashworth collapsed on stage and continued to press on the keys frantically in a prone position. Working in tandem, Creevy and Ashworth brought a high level of passion to the show, and their synchronised jumping was an intoxicating display of energy.

While Cherry Glazerr did not get the response they deserved from the crowd, they may have still been successful in recruiting some new fans.

An anonymous member of the crowd was the best at summarizing the concert. After a stunned silence greeted the end of a song, the brave patron shattered the silence with: “That was really good!”

It’s true — Cherry Glazerr’s performance was really good, though, admittedly, underappreciated.

Contact Sarah Alford at [email protected].
.