Cool events in the Bay Area to check out this November

coloredited_xinyuli_sffilm
Xinyu Li/File

November is one of our favorite months here at the Clog. Fall is officially here, and because midterm season is mostly over, you have some time to breathe and go do something cool before you start cramming for finals. Whether you’re into live music or shopping on the cheap (be it for Christmas gifts or a “treat yo’ self” day), we put together a list of cool things around the Bay Area to check out this month.

Ice skating @ Union Square Rink (Nov. 11)

The second midnight hits on Nov. 1, the world immediately starts preparing for the winter holidays. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, gliding (or baby-stepping) across the ice in the heart of San Francisco seems like an ideal way to ring in the holiday season this year.

SF International Tea Festival @ San Francisco Ferry Building (Nov. 12)

If there’s one thing us UC Berkeley students love dearly, it’s caffeine. The sixth annual Tea Fest will feature many different kinds of teas from both close and far away, and is not to be missed by tea enthusiasts. Plus, you’ll have a new source of caffeine for finals season.

LCD Soundsystem @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium (Nov. 14 and 15)

One of the best live acts there is, the dance-rock outfit makes their return to San Francisco in support of their comeback record American Dream. While we students are typically studying or working our lives away on weeknights, we all need to cut loose every now and then, and dancing yourself clean on a Tuesday/Wednesday night sounds like the perfect way to do it.

Electric Beer Garden @ San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers (Nov. 17)

Are you a fan of flowers, neon lights and local brews? The SF Conservatory of Flowers has a treat for you if so. Lucky for you, they’re offering a Friday night filled with those things! Black Sands Brewery will provide the brews, plus there will be live music and food trucks showing off what they’ve got as well.

Kid Cudi @ The Warfield (Nov. 18 and 19)

While his hardcore fandom has simmered in recent years, there was a point in every present-day UC Berkeley students life where one of Kid Cudi’s songs spoke to them. He’ll be hitting SF’s historic Warfield Theatre on back-to-back weekend nights, for those eager to be on the pursuit of happiness as they think back to their fondest middle/high school days.

Bay Area Record Fair @ Swedish American Hall (Nov. 19)

With record store day still being many months away and Black Friday being way too much of a mess to get involved in, vinyl collectors need to get their fix somehow. With over 30 independent labels present and DJ’s spinning throughout the day, it’ll be easy for music geeks to absorb themselves in a sea of vinyl, CDs, and cassettes.

Trevor Noah @ The Masonic (Nov. 20, 24-26)

With his very funny new special, “Afraid of the Dark,” and being a successful heir to “The Daily Show,” Trevor Noah is one of the sharpest comics working today. He’ll be doing a whopping six shows at The Masonic at the end of this month, making for some quality Thanksgiving-comedown entertainment.

Treasure Island Holiday Flea Market (Nov. 25-26)

Who doesn’t love a good flea market? Treasure Island will be holding their massive monthly event Thanksgiving weekend, with hundreds of various vendors, as well as workshops, local food trucks, and scavenger hunts. It’s the perfect time to get some Christmas shopping done so you don’t have to panic when Christmas is only 72 hours away and you still haven’t done any shopping.

While we UC Berkeley students lead busy lives, remember to put the textbooks down every now and then. Find some time to do something this November.

Contact Doug Smith at [email protected].