Grilled cheese screams childhood, but if you’re still thinking about white bread and Kraft American cheese when thinking of this sacred sandwich, you’re doing it so wrong. In a world where rainbow grilled cheese exists and standards are progressing at an all-time high, there’s no excuse to be a grilled cheese embarrassment anymore. So to help you say goodbye to that disaster you call a meal, we at the Clog are here to give you a foolproof recipe to get you on top of your grilled cheese game.
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- A bit of butter
- 2 slices of cheese (we suggest Muenster)
- Salt and pepper (we also recommend Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning)
- 1 avocado
- Optional: side of Tapatio hot sauce
- Butter up the outsides of your pieces of bread. Load it up, don’t be shy.
- Season the slices on the buttered sides. Salt and pepper will do, but Trader Joe’s “Everyday Seasoning” is even better for that extra chili garlic flavor.
- Stuff the bread with cheese and throw it on the frying pan. Cook on medium heat for about three minutes on each side, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- In the meantime, cut the avocado into thin slices.
- Remove the grilled cheese from the pan and quickly pull the sandwich apart. Stuff it with slices of avocado and put it back together while the cheese is still melted.
- Cut it in half and serve! We suggest a bit of Tapatio on the side.
Contact Camryn Frederickson at [email protected].