Picks of the week: Top recommendations from the arts staff for Bay Area events

inconvenient-sequel_paramount-pictures-copy
Paramount Pictures/Courtesy

You don’t have to wait until the three-day Veterans Day weekend to find exciting events happening around the Bay Area. A karaoke event, film screenings, an a cappella showcase as well as a ballet studio series all top the list of this week’s events.

Tuesday, Nov. 7 | Kappa Karaoke 2017

Are you looking for a way to blow off steam during the week? On Tuesday, sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma will be hosting its annual singing, dancing and lip-syncing competition to benefit Reading is Fundamental. Help promote reading in the community while jamming to your heart’s content from 7-10 p.m. at the Kappa House. Presale tickets are $4, and tickets at the door are $5.

Wednesday, Nov. 8 | Screening of An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power

With the drastic change from heat wave to fall cold hitting hard, there’s no time like the present to think about climate change. On Wednesday, “An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power” will be showing at the San Francisco Public Library. Bundle up warm and head out to watch former vice president Al Gore promote the idea that it’s not too late for people to overcome the threat of global warming. This Green Stacks event is free to the public.

Thursday, Nov. 9 | Sweet Charity: Bob Fosse’s Dark Musicals

This week’s screenings don’t stop Wednesday. If you’re in the mood for a blast to the past, film noir-style night, look no further than the Thursday showing of “Sweet Charity” — a Bob Fosse musical. Indulge in a relaxing night at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts as the cinematic nostalgia, gritty noir-style and spirited theatrics of Fosse unfold on screen. The film will start at 7:30 p.m., and tickets can be purchased at $10 apiece at the YBCA website.

Friday, Nov. 10 | West Coast A Cappella Showcase 2017

West Coast A Cappella Showcase, a showcase of a capella groups from UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford University, UC Santa Cruz and more, will be in Wheeler Hall this Friday and Saturday. The event, hosted by the UC Men’s Octet and the California Golden Overtones, promises to offer some show-stopping music — sans instrumentals, of course. If you’re a student, you can get discounted tickets ($8 for Berkeley students, $10 for non-Berkeley students) from the general price of $12. Ticket prices rise by $2 when purchased at the door.

Saturday, Nov. 11 | Ballet for Black & Brown Bodies

The Starline Social Club in Oakland is hosting a particularly special program: Ballet for Black & Brown Bodies, a studio series aimed at exploring the ways in which race interacts with movement and how ballet can be employed as a form of liberation and resistance. The event is free, though an RSVP is requested, and it will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].