Week 9 Cal in the NFL Fantasy Recap

Deseret News
Chris Samuels/Courtesy

With Aaron Rodgers injured, a flashy quarterback statline was no given for a Cal recap, but Jared Goff put together quite the show. The rest of the Bears offensive team had varying results on the week, including a scarcely seen good running back stat line in this article.

Jared Goff

14/22, 311 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT

The Goff-lead Rams offense, to put it lightly, absolutely eviscerated a weak Giants defense.  Goff had an ultra-efficient day, throwing for more than 300 yards with only 14 completions to lead the offense to a 51-point outing. The offensive unit exhibited excellent chemistry as Goff was able to provide exceptional throws to put his receivers in good positions, like his 67-yard touchdown throw to Sammy Watkins in the second quarter. Likewise, the receivers supported Goff back, like when Robert Woods converted a short screen pass on a third and 33 situation for a 52-yard touchdown.

Nine weeks into the season, the Rams hold a one-game lead in their division going into their week 10 matchup against the now-Deshaun Watson-less Houston Texans. This should be a relatively decent matchup the Texans’ mediocre defense before the Rams play the Vikings and the Saints in consecutive weeks. For now, Goff remains a strong start in the quarterback position and the Rams are looking like a real contender in the NFC.

DeSean Jackson

2 receptions, 25 yards

The Buccaneers are in absolute shambles. They have lost five in a row and do not have the luxury of a bye week to get some rest. With quarterback Jameis Winston’s shoulder still injured, the offensive unit has had no cohesion, and has scored a measly 13 points combined in their last two games.

DeSean Jackson and the rest of the receiving corps had an anemic day against the Saints, totalling 113 total receiving yards, 25 of which went to Jackson. For whatever reason, the Buccaneers have not been able to properly utilize the multitude of offensive tools at their disposal, and Jackson has had a very quiet past few games. Starting Jackson should be a last resort at this point as it is very hard to count on the Buccaneers’ offensive unit bouncing back in the near future.

C.J. Anderson

9 rush, 13 yards

The Broncos offense has no true identity, and C.J. Anderson’s fantasy value has plummeted as a result. During the Broncos’ four game losing streak, Anderson is averaging just 38 rushing yards per game with zero touchdowns during the stretch. With the Patriots coming to town next Sunday, do not expect the Broncos to bounce back for an impressive offensive performance.

Marshawn Lynch

14 rush, 57 yards, 2 TD

Perhaps all Lynch needed was a week of (forced) introspection, as Sunday night yielded his most successful game of the season by a mile. Lynch was able to put together a relatively complete performance as he not only averaged a respectable 4.1 yards per carry on the night, but he was able to string together two touchdowns in the Raiders’ 27-24 victory over the Miami Dolphins. Luckily for Lynch, the Raiders are going into their bye week before playing the Patriots; maybe another week off before the next game is all Lynch needs to put together another strong fantasy outing.

Ethan Epstein writes for Bear Bytes, the Daily Californian’s sports blog. Contact him at [email protected].