Playlist: songs to listen to on a road trip

roadtrip_nicolewhite_file-copy
Nicole White/File

Many of us will be heading back home for Thanksgiving via automobile soon. Blow off some steam in the car after all the papers, quizzes, and tests and leave them far behind you, as you drive further away from your responsibilities and closer towards that coveted Thanksgiving dinner. Belt out some tunes, roll down the windows, feel the breeze through your hair and jam out to these songs.

“What’s Up” by Four Non Blondes

This song is a perfect warm-up song to listen to when you embark on your journey towards your destination. The intense vocals of Linda Perry will have you singing along to that famous, “Hey yea yea, hey yea yea,” with all your friends in the car. Belt it out, and feel Perry’s strong voice carry you home.

“Life is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts

Ride the adrenaline rush from “What’s Up” by following it up with “Life is a Highway”. This song will bring up childhood memories of watching Lightning McQueen drive along rural roads that eventually lead him to his friends, Mater and Sally. This feel-good song will give you the momentum to keep driving and have a blast while on the road.

“Send Me On My Way” by Rusted Root

This song can sound a lot like gibberish when you listen to it, but it’s good nevertheless. As Rusted Root sings, “We will run, we will, we will crawl,” our way down the road. The band will definitely send you on your way to where you want to go.

“Just You and I” by Tom Walker

This is where the cooldown starts. After a couple hours of listening to music to get pumped about your long trip, it will be about time to calm down and relax, while lowering the high energy from the beginning of the trip. So here’s a song for all of the couples and best friends on the road together. The song imbues love and road trip imagery that is perfect for your trip.  

“Bennie and the Jets” by Elton John

Elton John’s piano skills will have you full of wholesome energy as he sings tunes in his homage to glam rock. Make sure to hit those fun falsetto “Bennie!” notes with all the passengers in the car as you cruise down the freeway.

“Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey

Honestly, how could you expect to go on a road trip without listening to Journey? This classic will give you hope as you nod your head to the 80’s rock. “Hold on to that feeling” of unexplainable joy and freedom that comes with your own journey.  

“Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Play this song when you are nearly home. For this Thanksgiving and Christmas season in particular, listen to this song as you dream of the “hot and heavy pumpkin pie, chocolate candy”. This sweet song is perfect to get pumped for all the things that await back home for you from your long trip.  

“Island in the Sun” by Weezer

Though it may not be sunny when we head home for the holidays, Weezer captures the feelings of departing from our fears and worries when they sing: “When you’re on a holiday / You can’t find the words to say / All the things that come to you”. The chill vibes of the song will surely infiltrate your car.

“1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins

This song, despite the band’s name, is a perfect song to listen to when everyone in your car is on the brink of falling asleep. The mellow beat and soft guitar will bring you into a nostalgic haze for times you never even knew.

So when you make that long drive back home during the holidays, give these songs a chance! They might just spice up your long journey ahead.

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].