The ultimate post-Turkey Day leftover sandwich recipe

Michael Drummond/File

Thanksgiving’s the best meal of the year, and it’s guaranteed to put you in a pretty deep food coma. But when you finally wake up from that coma, you’ll probably realize that as much as you stuffed yourself, you weren’t quite able to finish everything on the table. That’s why leftover sandwiches are a staple of American holidays. You can’t let all that food go to waste, and frankly, you’re not gonna want to miss out on your aunt’s cousin’s best friend’s brother’s mashed potatoes. With this recipe, you can recycle all your favorites into the perfect post-Thanksgiving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• 2 slices of sourdough bread
  • Dijon mustard
  • Turkey (make sure internal temperature reaches a cozy 180 degrees)
  • Stuffing (we recommend browsing Pinterest for some signature recipes)
  • Swiss Cheese
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Butter (I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter! is a great substitute)

1. Spread the mustard onto both slices of bread. You’ll want to slather it nice and smooth. Butter the other sides.
  2. Dump a generous spoonful of gravy onto the top slice.
  3. Cover the bottom slice with cranberry sauce. We’ll leave you some wiggle room with how much you choose to use. This’ll depend on how zesty you want your sandwich to taste.
  4. Layer two to three pieces of turkey onto the bottom slice. Double the serving if you’re really trying to pack up on protein.
  5. Place two slices of swiss cheese onto the turkey.
  6. Add a thick scoop of mashed potatoes to your mountain of a sandwich.
  7. Top the tower with your second slice of bread and cook in the toaster oven until both sides are golden.

You’ll never have to salvage a precious Thanksgiving dish ever again with this scrumptious recipe. Enjoy eating this Thanksgiving, Bears!

Contact Shaked Salem at [email protected].