Cal baseball sophomore Jared Horn injured in car accident, four dead

baseball_21_liannefrick_file
Lianne Frick/File

Update 11/28/2017: This article has been updated to reflect additional information regarding the victims of the accident. 

A fatal multivehicle hit-and-run crash occurred late Saturday evening about 8 p.m. in San Pablo on Interstate 80, killing four and leaving six injured. Two of the four people killed have been identified as family of Cal baseball pitcher Jared Horn. Horn, a sophomore who was driving at the time of the collision, survived the crash.

Among those who died in the crash were Horn’s father, Daryl Horn, 50, and brother, Joe Horn, 14. Daryl Horn played baseball at Sacramento State and was part of the Napa Valley Baseball Club, a Napa-based Little League. Troy Biddle, 52, and his son Baden Biddle, 12, both from Bainbridge Island, Washington, were killed as well. According to the East Bay Times, Troy and Baden Biddle were Jared Horn’s uncle and cousin, respectively.

“We cannot imagine what Jared is going through right now, and the thoughts and prayers of our entire Cal baseball community are with Jared and his family as they go through this time,” said Cal baseball head coach Mike Neu in a statement. “Jared is a respected and beloved member of our team as well as an incredible student-athlete, teammate and friend. We will give him any and all support that we can as he goes through this unthinkably difficult time.”

The Biddle and Horn families released a statement Monday afternoon.

“Troy Biddle and Daryl Horn were beloved fathers, husbands, sons, brothers, friends and coaches. Baden Biddle (13) and Joe Horn (14) were beautiful, caring and innocent boys whose loss will be felt by all those who knew them. The families are focusing on supporting each other and ask for privacy during this time,” the statement said. Jared Horn’s mother is an employee of the school district.

The Napa Valley Unified School District, where Joe Horn attended school, released a statement as well.

“Our entire Napa Valley Unified School District community is heartbroken for the Horn family, and we will do all we can, individually and collectively, to offer our love and support,” the statement said.

California Highway Patrol arrested the driver, 47-year-old Fred Lowe, who was allegedly drunk at the time of the crash according to CHP.

While heading east, Lowe’s Mercedes allegedly collided with Jared Horn’s Nissan sedan, which caused Jared Horn’s car to flip over the center divide and crash into oncoming westward traffic. According to authorities, Lowe allegedly deserted the scene in westbound lanes of the highway near San Pablo Dam Road.

According to California Highway Patrol Officer Matthew Hamer, Lowe has been booked into Contra Costa County Jail on suspicion of four counts of driving with a suspended license, felony hit-and-run and felony DUI.

In total, six people, including Jared Horn, were injured. He has returned to Napa to recover.

Justice delos Santos is an assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510

• Sergio Mairena

All four were family: Troy and Baden Biddle were Jared’s uncle & cousin.