Picks of the Week: Concerts, film releases, live performances

picks-of-the-week_-justina-mintz_warner-bros-courtesy-copy
Justina Mintz / Warner Bros/Courtesy

There’s lots to look forward to as we all recover from the Thanksgiving holiday and as we Golden Bears edge into our last full week of classes. The coming week offers the release of a much-anticipated film, “The Disaster Artist,” as well as live readings for a popular podcast and concerts for up-and-coming bands.

Wednesday, Nov. 29 — Pale Waves at Rickshaw Stop

Pale Waves is an alternative band straight out of England, delivering The Cure’s classic sound with a pop twist. Frontwoman Heather Baron-Gracie often looks like the inspiration behind Tim Burton’s gothic Claymation characters, with poppy pipes and darkly whimsical lyrics to boot. The band released its single “Television Romance” and an accompanying music video earlier this year, with an album forthcoming. Pale Waves will be playing at Rickshaw Stop in San Francisco on Wednesday at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance here for $12 or at the door for $14. Keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming review of the show.

Friday, Dec. 1 — “The Disaster Artist”

It’s almost impossible for a film depicting the production of “The Room,” an infamous cinematic flop, to avoid parody. This week, we’ll find out whether James Franco’s “The Disaster Artist,” lives up to the entertainment value of its predecessor. Keep an eye out for a cameo from Tommy Wiseau — the writer-director-star of the original film — as well as our film beat reporter Anagha Komaragiri’s coverage of the film, coming soon. The film opens at Shattuck Cinemas on Dec. 1.

Friday Dec. 1Saturday, Dec. 2 — jericho! improv & sketch comedy’s “Big Show”

jericho! improv & sketch comedy is one of many talented groups of comedians at UC Berkeley. jericho! was established in 2005 and typically stages bi-weekly “short” shows on campus, which include an hour’s worth of entirely improvised performances. The “Big Show” is a once-semesterly, two-night performance in which the comedy crew performs not only entirely improvised formats, but also prewritten and prerehearsed comedy sketches as well, along with videos written and directed by members from the troupe. The shows will run Friday and Saturday nights from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $3.

Sunday, Dec. 3 — Welcome to Night Vale at The Fox Theater in Oakland

“Welcome to Night Vale” is a twice-monthly fictional podcast, where listeners can tune in to news updates for the strange town of Night Vale, where suspicious and frightening characters threaten the community on a daily basis. According to Daily Cal arts writer Danielle Hilborn, the show is therapeutic because it validates its characters fears while allowing those characters to overcome their anxieties at the same time. The Fox Theater in Oakland will be hosting a live reading of “Welcome to Night Vale” with its usual narrator, Cecil Baldwin, and special guests (such as Mal Blum as “The Weather”) in attendance as well. The show begins at 7 p.m., and tickets can be purchased online here.

Sunday, Dec. 3 — Chasms at Swedish American Hall in San Francisco

Chasms is a Los Angeles-based indie band, made up of the musical duo Jess Labrador and Shannon Madden. Having released its first single, “Bad Evolution” in 2012, Chasms released its first full-length album, On the Legs of Love Purified, last year and plans to release its second album next spring. The band will be performing on the anniversary of the ”Ghost Ship” fire, which destroyed the warehouse of an artists’ collective in Oakland last year and took the lives of dozens, including Griffin Madden, the brother of Shannon Madden. The night’s show begins at 8 p.m., with doors at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online here for $12 in advance or $14 at the door.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].