The best playlist to listen to when pulling an all-nighter

awake_lfrick_file
Lianne Frick/File

It’s inevitable. Here at UC Berkeley, there will be a night or two (or a dozen depending on your study habits) in which you simply don’t have time to sleep. For most of us, one of the most important parts of studying is the music we listen to. Luckily for y’all, the Clog has made a relatable, upbeat playlist to match the emotional roller coaster you will inevitably face, but also to keep your body awake and thriving during your all-nighter!

“Doses & Mimosas” — Cherub

Getting lit with your friends is no doubt what you wish you were doing instead of forcing your body to remain awake for more than 24 hours. This song will take you into a daydream of that experience. When it ends, you’ll be ready to slay the academic game.

“Under Pressure” — David Bowie and Queen

Even though the night has barely begun, you’re already thinking, “How the heck am I going to finish this work if I don’t sleep?” One could say you are feeling the pressure, and only the musical gods Freddie and Bowie will understand what you’re going through.

“This Is What You Came For” — Calvin Harris and Rihanna

While you’re in the middle of your continuing existential crisis, this banger will remind you that you chose UC Berkeley for a reason. Yes, there will be some all-nighters you’re forced to pull. Yes, there will be horrifyingly low midterm scores. However, it’s important to remember that we’re lucky enough to attend the No. 1 public university in the world. So yeah, this is definitely what we came for.

“Shut Up and Dance” — WALK THE MOON

DANCE BREAK. Dancing your little heart out for a few minutes is definitely one of the most effective study methods and will wake you right up. This particular jam will also bring you back to every cringy middle school dance where everyone fist pumped their hearts out. Good times.

“Love Myself” — Hailee Steinfeld

It’s fine. You’re fine. Everything’s fine. Don’t break down. You got this. LOVE YOURSELF.

“Misery” — Maroon 5

So you broke down. It happens to the best of us. Take the entirety of this song to be sad and sing in an unnaturally high pitch. However, once it’s over, get ready to crank out the rest of your work. There’s nowhere to go but up from this brief point of misery.

“All Star” — Smash Mouth

YOU’RE DONE WITH YOUR WORK! Yes it is 7:45 a.m. and you obviously have class in 15 minutes, but you did it. You’re the hero of this generation, the reason why our university ranking moved back up to No. 1 and, of course, an all star.

Hopefully, torturous all-nighters aren’t a frequent occurrence in your life. If they are, we expect you to have all of these songs memorized forward and backward by the end of the semester. With dead week and finals coming up, this playlist is perhaps more relevant than ever. But hey, we’re almost done! We can survive a few more all-nighters if that means a month off with no responsibilities. We got this.

Contact Annie Hatton at [email protected].