Mantras to get you through the end of the semester

untitled_artwork
Jessica Khauv/Staff

There are only three weeks left until the end of the semester, but getting through the final stretch can definitely be the hardest part. Luckily, we at the Clog know just how far a few words of motivation can go, so we’ve got some important mantras we’d like to share with you.

You have time

We know that it can often feel like there just aren’t enough hours in a day. Between eating meals, going to class, studying, working, exercising, socializing, sleeping and walking your neighbor’s dog, it all seems way beyond our capacity. But the reality is that you do, in fact, have time. All the time you need is there, and if you feel like it isn’t enough, take a moment, breathe and rearrange your priorities.

There’s no time like the present

That being said, don’t put off the things that really matter. In managing our time, most of us often fail to prioritize what’s most important to our health and well-being. Whether you’re working hard or hardly working, make sure to fit in at least a minimal daily dosage of the things that make you happiest. That might including calling your best friend from home, painting or lying on the glade for 30 minutes and listening to Vance Joy. Whatever it is, make sure you remember to be present. And don’t be afraid to indulge yourself in a spontaneous adventure, either.

Know your worth

You’re more than just a grade. Aim for the best score you can achieve, but know that whatever results you get on your final exams do not define you. Don’t get so caught up in the grade that you forget to appreciate what you’re learning, and be careful not to lose sight of the values that really mean the most to you.

Forgiveness is important

This may seem like an obvious one, but it can be really easy to fall into an unforgiving and unproductive cycle of self-criticism. You can plan your studying down to the very hour, but you still might find yourself unfocused at times, and frankly, you probably will procrastinate. If it happens, just accept it, learn and move on. Lingering on your mistakes will only lead to further unproductivity.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

Put your best efforts into studying, and remain optimistic. Believe in your ability to raise your grade after struggling with CS 61A all semester, but remind yourself that realistically, you can only do as well as your best. Ask yourself how devastating it would be if you didn’t do as well as you had hoped. Chances are it won’t be the end of the world.

We know how stressful these last few weeks are, but hopefully these mantras will offer you just the moral support you’ll need to carry yourself to the very end.

Contact Shaked Salem at [email protected].