Fun without sun: Golden Bears take on Portland, Oregon

Amanda Chung/Staff
Amanda Chung/Staff

School can be a bit much sometimes — or all the time. After the 45th protest on Sproul and 46th midterm of the semester, we find ourselves looking to escape Berkeley for a hot second. Don’t get us wrong; the Bay will always be bae. But, as with all relationships, space is healthy. On today’s episode of “Running Away From Our Problems,” the Clog escapes to Portland, Oregon, for a minute of freedom.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

There are a handful of dynamic duos that are inarguably untouchable: Mario and Luigi, peanut butter and jelly, Dirks and public funds. While these couples are great and all, there’s a new perfect pair on the come up: donuts and bookstores. Portland conveniently has both of these hot commodities readily available. The world’s largest independent bookstore, Powell’s Books, and the wildly popular Voodoo Doughnut make for a real dream team. So step aside, Tom and Jerry, Portland is coming for you.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

The most lit thing about Portland — well, the whole state of Oregon, for that matter — is that there’s no sales tax. On the off chance that you’re unable to understand just how earth-quakingly amazing that is, let us just remind you that the sales tax in Berkeley is something crazy like 9.5 percent. That means that for every 10 bucks you intend to spend, you’re going to have to fork over nearly another Washington in taxes. Getting four dollar bills in change rather than three bills, a quarter, two dimes, four pennies, six buttons and three baby teeth is a wild rush. Spending money in Oregon is arguably saving money, since the same thing would cost you an additional 9.5 percent in Berkeley.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

The whole city is somehow hip but not in an in-your-face way. It’s basically the city equivalent of a low-key and wildly successful hip replacement for people in their mid-to-late 20s.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

Every single person we encountered was remarkably nice in an entirely genuine way. We seriously considered asking if the woman who scooped our ice cream at Salt & Straw was interested in being our future child’s godmother.

Amanda Chung/Staff

Amanda Chung/Staff

Portland is great, but at the end of the day, we want to get back to our city by the bay.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].