More UC Berkeley students using food stamps than ever before

food_cieciechen_staff-copy
Ciecie Chen/Staff

As a food-insecure student who struggles to balance the stress of a job on top of classes, UC Berkeley sophomore Jenifer Lomeli-Quintero called the food stamps given to her through CalFresh a “lifesaver.”

Although Lomeli-Quintero said in an email that she has heard students being criticized for not being self-sufficient and low-income people being accused of taking advantage of government benefits, she has seen that college students are still caught in situations in which they must choose between paying for education or food.

According to UC Berkeley Basic Needs Committee chair Ruben E. Canedo, 126 UC Berkeley students submitted applications in 2017 for CalFresh, the California branch of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. This is a significant increase from the eight applications that were submitted in September 2014.

“This year we’ve assisted over 500 students,” said Elizabeth Gomez, associate director of client services for the Alameda County Community Food Bank. “This is largely attributed to the fact that the eligibility rules have been improved.”

According to a survey conducted by the Nutrition Policy Institute in 2015, 48 percent of undergraduate students and 25 percent of graduate students reported being food-insecure across the entire UC system.

UC Berkeley has taken several steps to increase student participation in food insecurity programs. Every Friday, the campus Basic Needs Committee collaborates with the Alameda County Community Food Bank to host CalFresh application clinics for about 25 students, in addition to larger clinics serving roughly 50 students once a month.

“Students are dealing with food insecurity by either skipping meals or eating junk food. In the long run, this is not good for our bodies and mental health,” Lomeli-Quintero said in an email. “We are in a rigorous university and spend many hours reading, studying. … We need nutritious food to fuel our minds.”

During UC Berkeley’s Hunger and Homelessness Awareness week, held from Nov. 12-17, 182 additional CalFresh applications were prescreened within five hours.

For the 2017-18 school year, the Berkeley Food Pantry has also had more total visits per month since it opened in spring 2014. This year, Canedo said, information about the food pantry was included in both the campus’s undergraduate and graduate orientations to increase awareness and accessibility.

“When students come to the Pantry, they’re also exposed to more resources,” Canedo said. “It’s not just about having a food pantry, but making sure that there’s a web that connects you to additional resources for basic needs.”

According to campus agricultural and resource economics professor Jeffrey Perloff, the food stamps program is one of the largest national welfare programs. The program is a major part of people’s “safety nets,” Perloff said, because people in the program generally are not able to acquire more food than what they receive from their food stamps.

“If (Republicans) pass the tax bill, which will really substantially hurt graduate students, they’re going to have to make much more use of food stamps and other programs … unless the government cuts those too,” Perloff said.

Contact Gioia von Staden at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @GioiaVon.

• ErikKengaard

Up until about 1960, it was easy enough to work your way through Berkeley. Plenty of part time jobs, pay was good, tuition was zero, rent and food were affordable. What the heck happened?

• BlackConservative

Illegal immigration

• ErikKengaard

And legal. Basic driver is excessive population.

• DeShawn Washington

Higher education in general was a lot more accessible in the fifties. I know a doctor in his 80s who put himself through medical school back in the 50s by working at a textile factory for three years and simply saving up enough money to live on and pay tuition. Medical school tuition was the princely sum of $700 a year and his cost of living was low enough that he could live on his savings for all four years of medical school.

Nowadays, going to medical school means you either come from a rich family or you’re going to be paying off student loans well into your forties.

• ErikKengaard

Why do you think things have changed?

• ErikKengaard

For one hundred years [1868- 1967], California taxpayers funded the tuition free, world class University of California, Berkeley, for their children. How was that possible?

Today, Californians and others can’t afford to send their children to University. What happened?
    The essential bases for the lack of current funding are: the electorate became fragmented [e pluribus multum and a resultant diminution of “sense of collective responsibility”], California became overpopulated, the additional population did not reflect the economic substance and integrity of the population of the first hundred years, immigration driven excess population placed enormous pressure on resources, and drove up the cost of land and derivative costs way beyond inflation, and because millions of the newcomers were poor, their taxes didn’t begin to cover the costs of K12, welfare, etc for their families, and many of their children ended up in prison.
    As a consequence [somewhat simplified] State funds previously used to support the University were diverted to increased funding of K12, to prisons, and to welfare.

Given the irreversible nature of much of what has happened, the disinterest of the California elite and the apathy of the general populace in supporting an analysis of what happened, to better enable a solution, the future for California middle class students and their parents will be even more financially challenging than it is now.