Stop thinking and start moving: why your 20s are the best time to travel

omil.paris.travel
Moyan Brenn/Creative Commons

According to the U.S. Department of State, only 36% of Americans own passports, which means 64% have never left the United States. If you ask someone why they’ve never traveled, some common reasons include work, school, family obligations or never having enough time or money. While there are many ways to overcome these obstacles no matter how old or busy you are, your 20s are the time in your life that allow you the most flexibility to travel. Here are some reasons that will motivate you to book your next trip ASAP.

This is the best time to learn about yourself.

Whether you’ve just graduated college or you’re still trying to figure out a career path, traveling is one of the best strategies that leads to profound self-discovery. It’s likely that you’ll find inspiration along the way because you’ll expose yourself to different cultures, communities and histories that you probably never knew about before. This will challenge you in ways that staying in your home country never could.

You have the energy and spontaneity to travel.

If you’re in your 20s, chances are you’re still living by that “#yolo” mentality. You feel as though the world is in the palm of your hand, and it is. Your carefree mindset and youthful energy will take you to places you’ve only dreamed of going.

You don’t have as many serious responsibilities.

As you get older, you’ll bear an increasing amount of responsibility, whether it’s because you started a family, you got a promotion at your job or you decided to go to graduate school. While such major life changes are important for self-growth, they also yield serious obligations that you can’t just drop. Take advantage of your freedom as much as you can because traveling will not only help you figure yourself out and learn what you want in life, but it will also give you plenty of stories to tell in the future.

There’s no better time than now.

Change is always inevitable with the passage of time, so you never know what may happen in the future. The best thing you can do is make the most out of the present and do whatever you can to seize the moment.

Although traveling at a young age is ideal, always remember that there’s no age limit to life-changing adventures. Stepping outside of your comfort zone will lead to profound growth, no matter how old you are.

Contact Claudia Marie Huynh at [email protected].