Motivational quotes from ‘Elf’ to get you through finals

elf_newlinecinema_courtesy
New Line Cinema/Courtesy

Finals. What a time to be alive. Tips and tricks to stay motivated and other methods to keep the positivity flowing are necessary. Luckily, the Clog provides countless ways to slay this finals season. One of our best ideas is to take inspiration from one of the most positive, widely loved movies out there — “Elf.” “Elf” is the opposite of finals week: It’s cheerful, hilarious, and it brings people together. There really aren’t very many things better than Will Ferrell in this world, except for maybe Will Ferrell dressed in an elf costume. Here are some quotes from this classic movie to get you through the last few weeks of the semester:

“I planned out our whole day: First, we’ll make snow angels for two hours, and then we’ll go ice skating, and then we’ll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as we can, and then to finish, we’ll snuggle”.

• Reading this aloud just brings joy to all. However, it becomes super relatable during the weekend before dead week. With nine days straight supposedly dedicated entirely to studying for finals, you simply have to take at least one day to have some fun. If you absolutely cannot bring yourself to do that, there’s always after finals are over.

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear”.

• For the first part of these grueling two weeks, you simply have to stay positive. To get others to stay just as cheery, sing really loud! Everyone loves that.

“We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup”.

• To keep this positivity up, your motto in terms of food should be “treat yo’self.” There’s only so much coffee one can have in a day, so eating Buddy’s preferred diet the remainder of the time will make sure you have a sugar rush for the vast majority of the day. Now there is no excuse to be tired! Perfect!

“You sit on a throne of lies!”

• So the sugar rushes didn’t last you the entire two weeks and the stress and pressure began to sit in, which is why you shouted this at your best friend after they took you to Tako Sushi for a much-needed last meal. All because you found out  that it was closed because it was Sunday. Snapping because of stress is bound to happen. Maybe try watching everyone’s favorite holiday movie (or at least clips from it) to cheer you up and make you laugh.

“Does somebody need a hug?”

• This is what your best friend asks you after you snap at them. Buddy the Elf is truly is an inspiration to us all, and he inspires the mending of friendships left and right during this tense time.

“I just like to smile; smiling’s my favorite.”

• This is the first thing you say after you’ve just conquered your last final. YOU DID IT! You deserve every toy at the toy store, top-notch spaghetti with syrup and so much more. You are a rock star — more of a rock star than Buddy when he saved Christmas.

The one-two sucker punch of dead week and finals week takes a toll on us all. However, there are a million ways to make each intense hour that much more enjoyable. So try not to be a cotton-headed ninny-muggins and take our advice to channel your inner Buddy the Elf, making the most out of the end of the fall 2017 semester. The Clog believes in you just as much as Buddy believes in Santa Claus. Good luck!

Contact Annie Hatton at [email protected].