A complete guide to dead week preparation

mentally_prepare_emilyfilkin-copy
Emily Filkin/File

Dead week is physically, emotionally and intellectually draining, but don’t let it get the best of you. As obvious as it sounds, the trick is to take care of yourself. Yet it’s surprising how easy it is to neglect your mental health. This dead week, it’s time to prime your brain for prosperity with these seven simple steps to self-care:

Start early

It’s not called dead week for nothing. Honey, you’ve got a whole seven days to GET. YOUR. SHIT. TOGETHER. Start studying Monday and set the tone for the rest of the week. You’ll be amazed at how much you can get done in the beginning and you’ll be even happier with the amount of free time you’ll have at the end. Work hard, play hard.

Organize

Two words: Paper Source. It’s time to splurge on a planner. Getting into the habit of writing down assignments and weekly to-do’s is a game changer, we’re telling you.

Stress isn’t always bad

Don’t look at stress as the bad guy, but as the sidekick. Stress is an entirely normal and healthy function behind motivation, so let it be just that. It only becomes harmful when it piles up on top of itself, so as long as you manage it accordingly, it’s going to be your best friend.

Take a shower

When you find yourself at a dead end, a shower’s the perfect restart. Take a nice, long shower — and don’t feel guilty! Sorry, California drought, but these CNR majors have to ace their finals before they can even think about saving your butt.

Workout

Start every morning with a workout, but avoid the sweaty chaos that’ll be the RSF next week. Try taking a run (or a walk) outside. Physical exertion plus vitamin D is a recipe for self-care. Starting off each individual day right will set you on track for a successful week.

Sleep

Sleep isn’t for the weak. In fact, there’s nothing better you can do for your body than getting those Z’s! So we’ll leave you with this: When the clock strikes midnight, close the books and head to bed. You’ll be shocked at how much more information you’ll retain the next day.

Don’t aim for perfection

Things start to go downhill the second we start expecting perfection, because in all reality, perfection can never be achieved. Just aim for your very best and be happy knowing you’ve tried. The hard work’s going to pay off in the end, we promise.

All in all, don’t sweat it. Dead week might feel like actual death in the moment, but in the end, you should be feeling great about the steps you’re taking to set your life on track. Be proud and good luck.

Contact Camryn Frederickson at [email protected].