Man shot in leg, robbed of backpack in North Berkeley

crime_danielkim_file-copy
Daniel Kim/File

12/6/17: This story has been updated to reflect information from a Nixle alert released by BPD

Berkeley Police Department responded to reports of a shooting in North Berkeley on Tuesday evening about 9:32 p.m.

BPD received several calls of fired gunshots on the 1900 block of Vine Street, and a male voice was heard shouting in distress. Upon arriving at the scene, patrol officers located the victim, who exhibited an apparent gunshot wound to the leg.

The victim had recently exited his parked car on Vine Street when the two suspects approached him from behind, according to the Nixle alert. One of the suspects tried to grab the victim’s backpack. When the victim resisted, the suspect shot him in the leg. The suspect dragged the victim to the sidewalk and fired the weapon two more times at the victim, who let go of the backpack. Both suspects were last seen running south on Bonita Avenue.

The victim, 32, was transported to a local hospital, where he was treated for non-life-threatening gunshot wound(s). He was later released.

The suspects were described as:

Suspect 1: Black male adult, large build, 20-30 years of age, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt

Suspect 2: Black male adult, thin build, black hooded sweatshirt.

Members of the community with information pertaining to this case are encouraged to contact the BPD Robbery Detail at 510-981-5741.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Ani Vahradyan and Sakura Cannestra at [email protected].