Playlist: songs to listen to while studying for your finals

coloredited_nishalinaik_playlist
Nishali Naik/Staff

Many of us know the strong effect that music can have on mood, and we also understand the effect that mood can have on productivity. To help alleviate some of your studying stress during the week before finals, we at the Clog have compiled a list of songs that you might find helpful for getting yourself in the right mindset to tackle some of the tasks at hand.

“Ascent” by Brian Eno

Brian Eno is a British musician who specializes in creating songs out of ambient sound. His songs are unique because they aim to achieve certain psychological states of mind within the listener. This particular song is from the album Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks, which may leave you feeling inspired, intrigued and creative.

“Your Hand in Mine” by Explosions in the Sky

Explosions in the Sky will have you feeling explosions in your brain. This song releases a creativity that bursts with every repeated measure. It’s played in a dramatic fashion and will have you thinking and studying in no time.

“You Wish” by Nightmares on Wax

This song is a psychedelic song composed by Nightmares on Wax, or DJ E.A.S.E., an English composer. It’s a great break from the more ambient songs in this list and can really get you groovin’ through whatever essay, study guide or project you’re working through.

“Yumeji’s Theme” by Shigeru Umebayashi

“Yumeji’s Theme” was originally composed for a Japanese ghost opera, but this poisonously addictive tune is better known for its use in Wong Kar Wai’s film “In the Mood for Love.” Its use of orchestral instruments provides a mood perfect for intense focus and work.

“Bubbles” by Yosi Horikawa

Horikawa’s piece is an eclectic one that almost resembles eating five flavors of ice cream at once. If you enjoy the feeling of listening to one melody in one ear and another melody in the other, you’ll love this piece. Make sure to listen to this song with headphones.

“Viices” by Made in Heights

Electronic music is shown to help listeners pay attention to studying rather than to the music that they’re listening to. It’s also been shown to help listeners’ minds roam, possibly promoting creative thinking. Electronic is often a good genre for a repetitive rhythm that keeps us focused.

“Basic Space” by the xx

This song’s strong bassline is a grounding point for listeners to grab onto while listening. The xx is an indie pop band that is well-known for its strong instrumentation and chill vibes. The band might even help you relax during dead week and finals week.

Give these songs a try throughout the week to get yourself in the studying mood. We only have a couple weeks to go! You got this, Bears.

Contact Chelsea Song at [email protected].