Picks of the week: Acting, chocolate, ‘Star Wars’ and the holidays

Lucasfilm Ltd./Courtesy

Whether you’re celebrating the end of finals week or looking forward to the impending holiday season, this week offers a variety of events perfect for unwinding and preparing for the season of giving. From the latest “Star Wars” installation to multiple events tailored for the holiday season, there’s something for everyone in this week’s picks.

Wednesday, Dec. 13 | Autobiography reading by Jenna Fischer

Jenna Fischer, most known for her role as Pam Beesly on “The Office,” will be at Book Passage in San Francisco’s Ferry Building at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Her new book, “The Actor’s Life: A Survival Guide” offers both advice to aspiring actors and charming anecdotes about her own misadventures and challenges. Go to meet a comedy hero, and stay for a grounded yet uplifting take on how to make it in Hollywood.

Thursday, Dec. 14 | Release of Lucasfilm/Disney’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”

Is there a more hotly anticipated film releasing in 2017? If the initial wave of critical reactions are any indication, then director Rian Johnson’s entry in the Skywalker saga looks like it will live up to the massive hype surrounding it. Good luck finding tickets, however, because at this point, they’re harder to find than Luke Skywalker himself.

Friday, Dec. 15 | Chocolate and Art Show in San Francisco

The SOMArts Cultural Center in Downtown San Francisco will host its Chocolate and Art Show on Dec. 14-15 from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Work by up-and-coming artists, photographers and creators will be featured, as well as live body painting, music and portraiture. The titular chocolate will be free. Tickets are $15; the event is for ages 21-plus.

Saturday, Dec. 16 | Queer Holiday Fair in Oakland

With its Facebook event cover photo reading, “Make your holiday season merry and gay. Yes, that kind of gay,” Qulture Collective’s Queer Holiday Fair promises not to disappoint with its LGBTQ+-centered holiday event. Local LGBTQ+ makers will sell “gay apparel” and other gifts for the holiday season. The event opens at 1 p.m. and opens an hour earlier at noon for persons with accessibility needs.

Sunday, Dec. 17 | ‘Home Alone’ with the San Francisco Symphony

“Home Alone” is the highest-grossing holiday film of all time, and rightly so. The San Francisco Symphony will revamp this 1990 Christmas classic by playing alongside a screening of it at the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall on Dec. 16, 17 and 20. They will be accompanied by three children’s choirs, truly cementing the film as a magical comedy for all ages — and causing the “Carol of the Bells” scene of Kevin’s home-security preparations to feel all the more hair-raisingly exciting.

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].