‘Another record-shattering year’: University of California receives more than 221,000 applications for fall 2018

Admissions_ZainabAli
Zainab Ali/File

Undergraduate applications to UC Berkeley rose by 4.6 percent this year, and the University of California received more than 221,000 total applications for all nine UC campuses.

This is the 13th consecutive year in which the UC system exceeded the record number of applications received in previous years, according to a statement released Thursday. For all nine campuses, freshman applications increased by 5.7 percent and transfer applications increased by 5.5 percent.

This increase follows last year’s rise in UC enrollment of 7,500 California students, and according to the statement, marks progress toward the university’s three-year goal of enrolling an additional 10,000 California students by the end of the 2018-19 academic year.

“We are thrilled by yet another record-shattering year of applications from freshman and transfer students who want to attend UC,” UC President Janet Napolitano said in the statement. “The steady momentum of increasing application numbers underscores the university’s standing as one of the best higher education institutions in the world.”

Malini Ramaiyer is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @malinisramaiyer.