Armed robbery occurs near Wheeler Hall

Michael Drummond/File

A male victim was robbed late Friday afternoon on the south side of Wheeler Hall.

The victim and a friend, also male, were walking towards Wheeler Hall about 6:56 p.m. when they were approached by a male suspect, according to a UCPD Nixle alert released Saturday afternoon.

“The suspect told the victim to drop his laptop while reaching in his waistband and pulling out a gun,” according to the alert. “The victim dropped his laptop and fled into Wheeler Hall.”

According to the alert, the victim and his friend were not physically injured during the encounter. UCPD searched the vicinity but could not find the suspect.

The alert described the suspect as a Hispanic male, 20 to 25 years old, approximately 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 9 inches in height and weighing approximately 140 to 150 pounds. The suspect was also described as having a light complexion and light mustache and beard. He was last seen wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, dark pants and dark shoes.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 510-642-6760.

Check back for updates.

Amber Tang is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

• Dougler

I’m not a crazy gun nut but Berkeley might be an example of how gun control fails, so many criminals with guns yet civilians are unarmed because it’s too expensive to get a permit. Basically it’s a playground for armed criminals

• Left Unsaid

Berkeley will tolerate armed robberies on campus but not profiling. Berkeley will tolerate mob robberies on South side.

• lspanker

Yeah, but if anyone dares to leave a chalk message saying “build the wall” there will be a public outcry…

• California Defender

It’s unconscionable that parents would voluntarily send their children such a crime-ridden university on top of the anti-intellectual environment that promotes rigidly close-minded group-think.

No misbehaving child deserves such a punishment.

• not surprised by the perp description

• Rocio Margarita Gutierrez Corn

Is your comment necessary? I have a lot of friends who study at Cal with that same description. It’s great that they put the description and I hope they find him but please, don’t demonize us all. He was one individual not representative of the whole community.

• California Defender

He’s not demonizing ALL Hispanics. He’s just not surprised.

Nobody is. Have you ever browsed the most wanted lists for the FBI or California?

• Rocio Margarita Gutierrez Corn

If certain communities are targeted more by the police than others of course you’ll get a disproportionate amount of them in a system such as the FBI’s but that’s not the point. His comment is a generalization. I’ve heard of “perp descriptions” that vary across race and ethnicities so his comment was unnecessary and had an obvious undertone that you can try to defend but it is obvious in its nature.

• California Defender

If you mean certain geographic communities, that is true. Police must use their limited resources efficiently and targeting high-crime communities is good policing.

If you mean racial communities, there is no evidence that police, especially in radical-leftist Berkeley, use racial data to allocate resources. Even when that demographic data would assist in significant crime suppression.

Furthermore, there are nearly 8 billion people on Earth, 323 million in the US, and 40 million in California. There is no way to individually assess all, so generalizations are a critical and valid tool that we ALL use every day.

• lspanker

Well, given we don’t expect so-called “dreamers” to obey our immigration laws, why would they stop there? Seems we have given them the green light to break any other laws they don’t like as well…

• Chio

I’m sorry. Where in the article did they say the perp was a dreamer? It seems that some people can read anything online and some how spin it to attack a group of people or to further their ideological agenda. I suggest you get to know someone in the “dreamer” category and find out they are real human beings and aspire for the same as anyone else. Also, don’t forget that laws have never equated to morality. That is why they change. Sometimes they are wrong.

• California Defender

The vast majority of “dreamers” are Hispanic, between the age of 20-25, and live in California. So it isn’t a stretch to assume, especially in a “sanctuary” city like Berkeley, that the perpetrator is a “dreamer”.

As for knowing people in the “dreamer” category, Ispanker can speak for himself, but I do know a few. Those individuals are good people.

Still, being a good person does not grant immunity. I still say to them you must go back home and apply for US residency and then citizenship like EVERYONE ELSE. They are not above the law.

Do you disagree, Chio?

• Tony Yamazaki

Berkeley is sooooooooooooooooooooo dangerous and I wonder why its students always say it is the “best” when it can not provide the basic need for its students – safety.

• Grandpa Dino

From what I have been reading this year, Berkeley has become a haven for criminals! Why is that?

• Left Unsaid

Progressive politricks and depolicing.