Picks of the week: The ho-ho-holidays come to the Bay Area

For this week in the Bay, The Daily Californian’s arts staff has suggestions for some of the most promising seasonal events and releases. With the holiday season imminent, we’ve provided a lineup for a week filled with laughter, love and magic — be it of the holiday or Netflix variety.

Wednesday, Dec. 20 | Moonlight Comedy: Stand Up Under the Stars! at The Uptown Nightclub

Don’t let the outdoor setting deter you from checking out this comedy show at Oakland’s The Uptown — the patio of this Oakland nightclub has warm heaters and will be hosting hilarious talents. Previous shows include comedians featured on HBO and Comedy Central, so there’s a good chance that whoever is performing Wednesday night at Moonlight Comedy will cause audiences to be brimming with laughs.

Thursday, Dec. 21 | Free Screening of “The Polar Express” at Orinda Theatre

In the mood for a holiday classic? Orinda Theatre has got you covered, offering a free screening of Robert Zemeckis’ “The Polar Express.” Operating since 1941, the Orinda Theatre is one of the Bay Area’s most storied cinemas, featuring lavishly decorated interiors that are just as transportive as the films screened. There’s no better place to be swept up by Alan Silvestri’s lush score and Zemeckis’ storytelling.

Friday, Dec. 22 | Release of “Bright” on Netflix

With “Bright,” screenwriter Max Landis and director David Ayer join forces for a genre-mixing crime thriller. Will Smith plays a human cop teaming up with an orc partner (Joel Edgerton), and together, the pair gets caught in the crossfire of a magical turf war. Both Landis’ work and Ayer’s work have been hit-or-miss — the latter directed last summer’s “Suicide Squad.” Still, the highly imaginative concept behind “Bright” makes it difficult to pass up.

Saturday, Dec. 23 | 2017 Berkeley Winter Crafts Fair at the Farmers Market

Need last-minute gifts for Christmas? The Winter Crafts Fair at Downtown Berkeley’s farmers market will provide an abundance of responsibly sourced goods from local artisans. From jewelry to ceramics to soaps and more, find something for everyone on your list. Just don’t forget your reusable shopping bag!

Sunday, Dec. 24 | “A Charlie Brown Christmas” — Live! at the Davies Symphony Hall

Catch the last performance of the San Francisco Symphony’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas” — Live! at 2 p.m. in the Davies Symphony Hall. The symphony plans to bring the beloved holiday classic to life with singers, dancers and actors performing in front of an animated background. The holiday special’s music by Vince Guaraldi will be performed live by the symphony, so break out your best “Peanuts”-inspired moves. Come early for a family-friendly reception filled with activities for the newest of “Peanuts” fans!

Contact the Daily Cal Arts Staff at [email protected].