2 Berkeley women charged with attempted murder after violent hit-and-run

Berkeley Police Department released a Nixle alert Thursday about 4 p.m. revealing new details about a hit-and-run that occurred Monday night and left one woman seriously injured.

BPD was called to the 3100 block of San Pablo Avenue about 11:30 p.m. Monday for a collision involving an automobile and a pedestrian, according to the alert. Officers located a victim with “life-threatening injuries” down the roadway, but the responsible vehicle was not at the scene when they arrived, the alert stated.

The victim was transported to Highland Hospital in Oakland, where she underwent emergency surgery, according to the alert.

Further investigation linked the victim to two suspects, and the investigation showed that the victim had been involved in a physical altercation with the suspects that left her lying in the roadway, the alert alleged. The alert continued that the vehicle with the two suspects, later identified as Mamie Purnell, 39, and Raine Wooten, 32, of Berkeley, struck the victim while traveling northbound.

The BPD Fatal Accident Investigation Team and the BPD Homicide Detail responded to and investigated the incident.

Purnell and Wooten were both detained Tuesday morning at the corner of Adeline and Fairview streets, and searches of both suspects’ homes revealed evidence related to the alleged assault, according to the alert.

On Thursday, Purnell and Wooten were charged with attempted murder and “felony assault with enhancements for great bodily injury,” according to the alert, which also stated that Purnell may face additional charges for allegedly committing a felony while out on bail.

Check back for updates.

Ani Vahradyan is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.