Berkeley police arrest suspect in connection to 2 sexual assaults

Berkeley Police Department released a Nixle alert about 4 p.m. Thursday regarding the arrest of a suspect in connection to two sexual assault incidents that occurred Wednesday evening.

At approximately 6 p.m. Wednesday, the first victim reported to a BPD dispatcher that she had been walking near Delaware and California streets when the suspect allegedly approached her and made sexually explicit comments. The suspect allegedly touched the victim inappropriately and followed her to the Trader Joe’s on Martin Luther King Jr. Way and University Avenue before leaving, according to the alert.

The victim described the suspect as a 20-year-old Black male, approximately 6 feet tall with a medium build, wearing a gray shirt and gray pants. The suspect allegedly introduced himself to the victim as “Jeremy Richard,” according to the alert.

Approximately one hour later, a second female victim reported to a BPD dispatcher that she had been on the 1400 block of Hopkins Street when she was approached by a subject who made sexually explicit comments to her and “followed her up the driveway of her home before he walked away,” according to the alert. The suspect description provided by the second victim was “almost identical” to the suspect description provided by the first victim, the alert said.

According to the alert, a BPD patrol officer made a pedestrian stop near the intersection of California and Lincoln streets on a man who matched the suspect’s description. The pedestrian identified himself to police as Jeremy Richard, the alert said.

Berkeley resident Jeremy Richard, 20, was booked in Berkeley Jail on suspicion of sexual battery in connection to the two incidents, according to the alert.

BPD asks that anyone with more information regarding this crime contact the BPD Special Victims Unit at 510-981-5715.

Check back for updates.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.