Man shoots at 15-year-old boy on UC Berkeley campus

Michael Drummond/File
Michael Drummond/File
Michael Drummond/File

Update 12/23/17: After the publication of this article, UCPD has since investigated this incident and has determined it to be unfounded.

A man shot at a 15-year-old boy as he was walking through UC Berkeley’s campus Wednesday night, according to a UCPD crime alert.

The victim, who is not affiliated with UC Berkeley, was walking through campus Wednesday about 8:30 p.m. “when he got into a physical altercation” with a male suspect, according to the alert.

During the fight, the man pulled out a handgun and shot at the boy but did not hit him. The boy, who was not physically injured, ran away toward the Downtown Berkeley BART station.

The mother of the victim later called UCPD to report the assault, the crime alert stated.

The crime alert did not state why the fight started or where on campus the assault took place. A UCPD spokesperson could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Check back for updates. 

Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ayoonhendricks.

• BerCaley

Good to see that this article has been updated: “UCPD has since investigated this incident and has determined it to be unfounded”.

• anposter

I don’t know who’s idea it is that DailyCal readers are unworthy of being provided a detailed description of an attempted murderer targeting our children, but they are shamefully mistaken. Withholding such information is an insult.

• C Bierbauer78

You only get what you pay for. Freeloader.

• anposter

Which end of the Freeloader spectrum do you suspect I inhabit? The left or the right?

• C Bierbauer78

The FREELOADERS, duh!

• Dougler

Normally campus shootings are a big deal, meanwhile city hall is talking about Okinawa or something