BART increases fare prices for 2018, encourages Clipper usage

bart-francescaledsma_file-698x450
Francesa Ledesma /File

BART has increased all fare charges by 2.7 percent as of Monday, according to a press release published Dec. 1.

The fare increases were authorized by the BART Board of Directors and are based on a “standard inflation-based biennial increase,” according to the press release. The minimum fares after the increase will be $2 for adults, $1 for youth and 75 cents for seniors and disabled Clipper users.

“The money generated is dedicated to our highest priority improvements such as the new train cars,” the press release said.

Fifty cents will also be added to the fare when using BART blue paper tickets, according to the press release, and the minimum fare for blue paper ticket users will be $2.50.

“The extra cost is being added to encourage customers to use Clipper for fare payment,” the press release said. “Paper tickets jam our fare gates so moving more riders to Clipper mean less jams and fare gate maintenance.”

Along with these fare changes, the age eligibility for a youth discount has increased to 18 years old. The press release also noted that the discount applies to children ages 5 to 18, and children ages 4 and below still always ride for free.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.