UC Berkeley junior taken into custody by Border Patrol

img_0700
Jaleen Udarbe/Courtesy

Luis Mora, a campus junior transfer, was taken into custody by Border Patrol in San Diego on Saturday night, according to a Facebook post made by his girlfriend, Jaleen Udarbe, on his account.

Mora is currently being held at Vista Terrace Neighborhood Park and has requested a hearing, but he has not received a response as to when it may be, according to the post. Rising Immigrant Scholars through Education, or RISE at Berkeley, a campus student organization that advocates for immigrant student rights, posted to its Facebook page a call to action for people to contact Melissa Maxim, San Diego field director for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, and Luis Silva, supervisor for Customs and Border Protection, or CBP, in order to request Mora’s release.

Along with the information regarding who to contact, RISE also added a script of what to say when calling and an image people can use as their Facebook icons.

“As politicians continue to preach that they are working to protect immigrant youth, their inaction to pass a clean DREAM Act has led to the detainment of one of our fellow peers by border patrol,” the post said. “Luis Mora is being held by CBP awaiting to be transferred to ICE custody, and we need to activate our networks now.”

In her post on Mora’s Facebook profile, Udarbe said Mora was “honest with border patrols about his situation and told them that he is an undocumented student at UC Berkeley.”

Check back for updates.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.