70-year-old woman struck, killed by city-owned vehicle near UC Berkeley

crime_dapreedoyle_file
Dapree Doyle/File

A Berkeley woman was killed in a car collision near Fulton Street and Channing Way on Friday afternoon.

At approximately 1:21 p.m., California Highway Patrol, or CHP, received calls of a vehicle-pedestrian collision, according to CHP Officer Matthew Hamer. Officers responded and pronounced the pedestrian, a 70-year-old woman, dead at the scene about 1:31 p.m.

The collision involved a city vehicle, according to city spokesperson Matthai Chakko. CHP will be investigating the accident.

The vehicle was traveling westbound on Channing Way before it struck the pedestrian, who was traveling northbound on Fulton Street, according to Hamer.

Sewer maintenance equipment was in the intersection of the two streets at the time of the accident, according to Hamer. CHP is currently investigating whether or not the maintenance equipment created an obstruction for visibility.

“We do not believe that alcohol or drugs were a factor in this collision,” Hamer said.

Hamer added that the driver remained at the scene and cooperated. CHP investigators are processing the scene and getting statements from witnesses.

A Berkeley Police Department crime alert released about 2:15 p.m. stated that the intersection was closed because of a “major injury action investigation” and advised motorists to take alternative routes. The crime alert did not state whether fatalities had occurred, and a BPD spokesperson could not be reached for comment as of press time.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

Ani Vahradyan is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.