ICE detained 2 undocumented UC students. Latino California lawmakers are demanding their release

ice_wikimedia_cc
Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Following the detention of two UC students by Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, the California Latino Legislative Caucus wrote to ICE to request their release, according to a tweet published Tuesday by Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher.

Campus junior transfer Luis Mora was taken into custody by Border Patrol in San Diego on Dec. 30, according to a Facebook post made by his girlfriend, Jaleen Udarbe. He was later transferred into ICE custody Jan. 3.

Mora’s attorney, Prerna Lal, tweeted Monday morning that a bond hearing has been scheduled for Jan.17.

Orr Yakobi, a UC San Diego student and DACA recipient, was also detained by Border Patrol at a checkpoint in San Ysidro on Jan. 7 and was transferred to an ICE facility Tuesday night, according to the Triton, UC San Diego’s student newspaper. Yakobi was released from the Otay Mesa Detention Center on Friday afternoon.

“This is not consistent with anything that anybody has said at the federal level on who they are trying to detain and … deport,” said Fletcher. “We need to take extraordinary steps when we hear these kinds of cases and ensure that our young people, who are in school doing their best, can resume that activity.”

California Sen. Ben Hueso and Fletcher serve on the caucus as chair and vice chair, respectively. According to Fletcher, they both represent South San Diego and went to community college in the district.

Fletcher said she hopes the statement will help address the disconnect between the concerns of the federal government and those of California. By bringing attention to the issue, Fletcher said there is a higher likelihood of students (such as Mora and Yakobi) being able to exercise their rights, such as the right to a hearing.

The situation is a reminder to all UC students that they need to remain vigilant and continue to advocate comprehensive immigration reform, according to Fletcher.

“There are some folks who don’t fit within the ‘Dreamer’ definition and that’s not going to be enough,” Fletcher said. “We have among us some of the most talented California students who don’t have the ability for a legalized status and we need to remain vigilant in fighting for that.”

Hueso and Rising Immigrant Scholars through Education at Berkeley, or RISE, spokespeople could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Contact Jenny Weng at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @jennyweng1999.

• D.Plorable

They have a dream…to make the whole state like this

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/286354/vandalized-valley-victor-davis-hanson

• Left Unsaid

ICE should set up a post on Sproul. Easy pickings, all the illegals are just staring at their phones and would never see the trap.

Class of 86

• lspanker

What type of reaction would these same Latino lawmakers have if white lawmakers demanded free college for people from Norway or Ireland who overstayed their visas, or Asian lawmakers who demanded the same privilege for illegals from China or Vietnam? This is all about getting more people on the Democrat voter rolls, and nothing more…

• Curtis Jones

Toss them back over the wall.

• That Guy

Didn’t the Legislature just comment on the separation of state and federal? I seem to remember something…

• taxpayer22

Legal immigrants take offense to seeing illegal aliens being called, “immigrants.”..

Honest immigrants earned that title. Illegal Aliens snuck in and they are just that, illegal aliens.

• taxpayer22

Lefties know the difference between legal and illegal immigration. They deliberately ignore that difference.

• lspanker

Of course they ignore the difference, they do that so they can categorize any criticism of illegal aliens as “anti-immigrant” and insinuate racism. Only by blurring the distinction between legal and illegal can they ever hope to win the argument.

• taxpayer22

Illegal aliens costs taxpayers in all 50 states a total of $89 billion, and California, where an illegal alien was cleared of murdering Kate Steinle despite admitting to the shooting, pays the most at $23 billion .

The costs cover added expenditures for education, welfare, law enforcement, and medical care.

When federal costs are included, the price tag nationally soars to $135 billion a year.

• taxpayer22

What price did a citizen of the United States, Kate Steinle, pay for ALT-left Democrats crazy policies?

• lspanker

What’s a few dead taxpaying citizens to the La Raza faction? Their goal is to register all the illegals as Democrats as to have a perpetual majority…

• I love Trump!!!

The headline should read ‘Law-breakers demand their release’.