UC says Gov. Brown’s 3 percent education budget boost not enough

Kevin Cheung/Staff

Gov. Jerry Brown released his proposal for the 2018 California state budget plan Wednesday, but the UC Office of the President, or UCOP, reported in a press release the same day that the 3 percent increase in the education budget is less than expected.

The proposal budgets $15.45 billion for higher education from the state’s General Fund — this is a 3 percent increase from the $14.968 billion that was allocated toward higher education last year. The UCOP statement also mentions that the 3 percent increase is less than what the governor and university had agreed upon and that the increase is allocated to the core educational budget.

“This 3 percent increase … is less than we anticipated under the framework we established with the governor,” the press release said.

According to the statement, the university was expecting “ongoing (and) predictable” funding in order to “maintain UC quality and access while requiring the university to lower its cost structure.”

The university will remain focused on completing the commitments made in the aforementioned framework by spring 2018, according to the press release. The statement also alludes to a university strategy to complete the final step, related to transfer-student enrollment.

“The governor’s budget plan does not include funding for UC enrollment growth,” the press release said. “The university is committed to adding an additional 2,000 California undergraduates in fall 2018, including 1,500 that it will fund from its own resources.”

Additionally, the statement said the university hopes to add 500 graduate students in the upcoming year.

The statement indicated that the university remains optimistic. It hopes “to continue conversations with the governor and the Legislature to ensure expanded access for fall 2018 and to restore the university to the funding envisioned in the framework,” according to the statement.

Contact Rishabh Nijhawan at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @realRishNij.

• John Stewart

He needs the money for his precious bullet train.

• D.Plorable

Both the UC and CSU have been dragging their feet on providing on-line access. They figured out “increased productivity” means fewer jobs for desk jockeys and hackademics with little justification for their existence. They will keep re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic right up to the point where the state finally bellies up. You’ll see campus closures and conversions to “affordable housing” in the not-too-distant-future. See links in post below.

You hear radio ads for Arizona State online plus a gaggle of privates
    doing the same thing. U. of Maryland went online and faced an
    insurrection at their physical campus location when the students found
    out the U. had put the texts on line and they had to pay the
    extortionate prices for the books. Another ongoing outrage the educrats do nothing to address.

• lspanker

If our colleges can afford to provide education to people who aren’t even in the country legally, then they clearly have enough money.

• Disqusted

CSU needs immediate funding increases to facilitate long overdue capital improvements. CSU gets far less funding than the UC system and has many very outdated and unsafe old buildings in immediate need of replacment, including science buildings that are over 60 years old. Every dollar invested in CSU creates several more dollars of future tax revenue from income tax and other taxes. The rainy day is NOW! Governor Brown has become a stingy old grouch that refuses to support higher education the way his father did.