Picks of the week: Exhibits, comedy and sea lions

Mandee Johnson/Courtesy

From candy to on-campus comedy, this week hosts a wide range of fun, engaging and educational activities. Timed with the first week of classes at UC Berkeley, the Arts & Entertainment staff picked a variety of events for you to learn more about the world, art, comedy, dessert and, above all, sea lions.

Tuesday, Jan. 16 | “This Is Hunger” interactive exhibit at The Brandeis School of San Francisco

“This Is Hunger” is a deeply affecting exploration of the widespread hunger that plagues so many Americans. Set in a big rig, this interactive exhibit puts participants face to face with individuals (via virtual projection) as they speak on their struggles with hunger. Later, participants are spurred to action through insightful activities, altogether creating a powerful experience. Be sure to RSVP to secure your spot.

Thursday, Jan. 18 | “Blurring the Lines” art exhibit at SLATE contemporary in Oakland

This thought-provoking (but more importantly, free) exhibition of art seeks to blur the lines separating paintings from photographs. This merging of mediums is reflected by the photorealistic quality of the works and the pixel-like strokes that seem to suggest such a merge. Check it out for an aesthetic experience that you can brag about on your Snapchat story or for a relaxing night with some friends!

Friday, Jan. 19 | Sea Lion Day at Aquarium of the Bay in San Francisco

Who doesn’t love the adorable sea lions of Pier 39? You can show your appreciation for San Francisco’s iconic animals — it’s the 28th anniversary of their arrival at Pier 39, after all — by saying “sea lion love” at the front desk of the Aquarium of the Bay, which will earn you free admission to the aquarium. Just make sure you’re among the first 28 guests to do so!

Saturday, Jan. 20 | SUPERBfest Comedy Show: Beth Stelling at Pauley Ballroom

At 8 p.m. Saturday, join SUPERB Productions for a night of laughter with Beth Stelling in Berkeley’s own Pauley Ballroom. Most recently featured in Netflix’s 2017 “The Standups” and a past featured guest on “Conan” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” the comic will undoubtedly surpass the value of the admission price with her charming sense of humor. This event is free with a Cal ID on a first come, first served basis.

Sunday, Jan. 21 | Sweet Tooth Festival in San Francisco

Have you ever dreamed of entering Candy Land? San Francisco’s Sweet Tooth Festival aims to help you achieve your cavity-laden goals as the self-purported first dessert festival of the Bay Area. Featuring a range of desserts from the cakes of acclaimed cupcake shops to Taiwanese shaved ice cream, the festival is bound to provide something for everyone with a sweet tooth. Ticket prices range from $30-55.

Contact The Daily Californian’s arts & entertainment staff at [email protected].