Teen injured in drive-by shooting in West Berkeley

crime_danielkim_file-copy
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department is asking for the community’s assistance with a drive-by shooting that occurred Tuesday evening.

At 10:12 p.m., Alameda County sheriff’s deputies assigned to a local hospital called BPD to report that a victim had been brought in with apparent gunshot wounds to the leg, according to a BPD Nixle alert released Wednesday morning.

The 19-year-old victim and his girlfriend, also 19, alleged that they were driving south on West Frontage Road and had stopped at a stop sign near the entrance to Ashby Avenue when an unknown vehicle pulled alongside the passenger side and fired multiple rounds into the vehicle, according to the alert. The victim, who was seated in the front passenger seat, was hit multiple times in his right leg. The victim’s girlfriend, who was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident, was not injured.

The victim’s girlfriend immediately drove to a local hospital, where on-duty Alameda County sheriff’s deputies then contacted BPD. The victim’s injuries do not appear to be life-threatening, the alert said.

There were no reported shots fired in Berkeley at the time the shooting occurred.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Berkeley Police Homicide Detail at 510-981-5741.

Amber Tang is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.