Things to remember as you enter the new semester

coloredited_isabelledoerschlag_nerves
Isabelle Doerschlag/Staff

The new semester has begun, and there’s a lot to be excited about — but maybe it doesn’t feel that way right now. With new opportunity comes anxiety, and nervousness feels inevitable. But don’t worry — we at the Clog are here to let you know that everything will be fine in the end. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you enter the new semester.

The first week

No matter what, the first week is always a hassle. You’re getting readjusted, you don’t know where your classes are, and everything is way more crowded than it usually is later on in the semester. This is natural, and it’s important to know that everyone else feels the same way. But the chaos is temporary, and it won’t be long until you get the hang of whatever the semester has to offer. Which leads us to our next point …

Making and keeping a routine

Organization goes a long way not only in academics, but in general life too. It’s good to get into the habit of having a routine, setting aside designated time blocks outside of class to do schoolwork, partaking in recreational activities and sometimes simply taking a nap (we’re big fans of those here at the Clog).

Setting goals

It doesn’t have to be anything outrageous, but at the start of the semester, just think about or write down a couple of realistic and achievable goals to work toward as the semester progresses. Keep these in mind throughout the semester, and you might surprise yourself with how much you end up accomplishing.

Remember, it’s just college

You will graduate, find a job and be successful in some capacity no matter what. Whatever stresses or qualms you have about the coming semester, just know that it’s not the most important thing in the world in the grand scheme of things. Just do your best and try not to drive yourself crazy in the process.

Good luck this semester, Bears!

Contact Doug Smith at [email protected].