4 reasons you’re already tired just a few days into the semester

tired_sravya_singampalli_file
Sravya Singampalli/File

College is exhausting, even when it’s just begun. You’ve swapped your comfortable couch back home for a classroom chair, and even your laziest days in college feel like they require some sort of effort. You’re probably asking yourself, “How am I this exhausted already?” We at the Clog have come up with some possible explanations for your eternal fatigue.

1. You’re still recovering from last semester.

Semesters vary in difficulty, challenges and how much it takes out of you ultimately. Even when you think you’ve recovered enough to where you’re ready for another round, there’s still rollover stress from the previous semester that you haven’t quite worked out yet. In this case, we wish you the best of luck in fighting off your leftover tiredness.

2. Just the image of campus induces sleepiness.

And in this case, we can’t totally blame you during this time of year. The cloudy skies and semi-chilly weather are enough to evoke a yawn out of somebody, let alone taking a morning class and having to process the long day ahead of you.

3. You’ve just now gotten comfortable with the freedom of sleeping in.

The first week of winter break has its growing pains — particularly the one where you still wake up at 7 a.m. just because you’re in the habit of doing so. By the time you’re actually adjusted to snoozing as late as you desire, you’ve headed back to your dorm, apartment or residence hall and things are back to the way they were before.

4. You’re working hard and accomplishing things

The day-to-day life of a Berkeley student isn’t easy, but we’re achieving great things even if we don’t realize it in the moment. Being a student here certainly isn’t anything to sneeze at, and each day we’re getting closer to the post-grad life that we want, no matter what that may be. Take a moment from time to time to pat yourself on the back.

And if you don’t know (why you’re tired), now you know.

Contact Doug Smith at [email protected].