UC regents to vote on tuition hike at Wednesday meeting

tuition_rachaelgarner_file
Rachael Garner/File

The UC Board of Regents will convene Wednesday and Thursday at UCSF Mission Bay to vote on a proposed tuition hike, discuss internal audit activities and establish a new position in the senior management group of the associate vice president.

On Wednesday, the regents will vote to adopt a policy on compliance with state audits and endorse recommendations for the academic verification task force, among other actions. They will also review an annual report on the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s 2017 fiscal year and discuss an update on the Los Alamos National Laboratory contract competition.

One of the most anticipated actions is the regents’ approval of the budget for the 2018-19 academic year, which includes the budget for current operations, tuition and financial aid, as well as adjustments for employer contributions to UC campus retirement plans.

This proposed budget includes a tuition hike that would, if approved, increase tuition for the 2018-19 academic year by 2.5 percent.

The regents have been considering the tuition increase since September. The proposed tuition hike amounts to $348 per year with additional student expenses of $662, adjusted for inflation.

The tuition hike has been a source of contention on campus and has inspired the campus student organization Rising Immigrant Scholars through Education, or RISE, to create a petition opposing the proposed tuition increase.

There will also be a “Fight the Hike: Rally against Tuition Increase” on Sproul Plaza on Wednesday at 10 a.m., according to a Facebook event page. The rally is co-sponsored by the UC Berkeley progressive student association, CalSERVE, the UC Student-Workers Union and Berkeley Citizens Action, among others.

Thursday’s meeting will feature an endorsement of the recommendations of the academic verification task force, approval of supplemental tuition for a graduate professional degree program on the UC Merced campus and a revised agreement between the University of California and the California Institute of Technology for the California Association for Research in Astronomy.

Ani Vahradyan is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to statewide student coalition Rise California as the UC Berkeley student group Rising Immigrant Scholars through Education.