Cal men’s basketball junior will not play against UCLA due to violation of team rules

mhoops14_mayavalluru_file
Maya Valluru/File

Update 01/25/2018: This article has been updated with additional information.

Junior guard Don Coleman of Cal men’s basketball team will not play against UCLA because of a violation of team rules, according to a press release.

Coleman has played in every game for the Bears this season and is currently averaging 16.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game in 34 minutes per game.

Since the beginning of Pac-12 play, Coleman has struggled offensively, posting only 10.0 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game while shooting 26.7 percent from the field.

The press release did not specify why Coleman was suspended, only citing a violation of team rules.

Cal, like every program, has its own set of team rules that are laid out at the beginning of a season.

Players have been suspended in the NCAA for various reasons. Minnesota senior forward Reggie Lynch was suspended for allegedly sexually assaulting a Minnesota woman in his dormitory.

In football, Oklahoma defensive lineman Amani Bledsoe was suspended for a year after a urine sample tested positive for clomiphene, an NCAA-banned substance.

This season, multiple players in the Pac-12 have been suspended for various reasons.

Three UCLA freshmen, Cody Riley, Jalen Hill and LiAngelo Ball, were suspended for the season for shoplifting in China.

USC junior Chimezie Metu was suspended for half a game for hitting Washington State sophomore Carter Skaggs below the belt.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510