How to explore and make memories during your first few weekends back

coloredited_kristinewong_file
Kristine Wong/File

Your first week of classes is over, and you are thriving! The weekend is finally here, and for the first time in forever, you don’t need to study for a midterm, finish your endless pile of readings, complete a problem set or write that pesky paper. Why not make the most of it and use this time to do something fun before the workload kicks in? Here are some things you can do to enjoy the first few weekends back. 

Take a trip to San Francisco

There’s always something fun to do in the city! Whether it’s going somewhere touristy, such as Pier 39, or going to a concert, there’s something for everyone in San Francisco. So grab your friends and a portable charger and make a day of it.

Try a new restaurant

Berkeley has such a wide variety of food to offer, so why not take a group of friends and go for a food adventure around town? The Clog has an Eating Berkeley blog that can ease your indecision regarding where to eat. Try Yelping restaurants in Oakland or San Francisco if you want to escape the Berkeley bubble for a bit.

Throw a party

You have no work! You have lots of friends! Do the math! Throw a party and enjoy yourself with good music and good company. Remember to party safe, Bears!

Binge-watch an entire series

Don’t want to go out? Feeling kind of anti-social? Now is the perfect time to binge-watch a new TV show. If you aren’t subscribed to a streaming service, hopefully you have a true friend who won’t mind you being a leech for a little while.

Try some new recipes

If you’re lucky enough to have a nice kitchen, now is the time to finally use it. Try out those Tasty recipes you’ve been seeing on Facebook for so long, or head on over to the Clog’s food blog and cook with some friends. Release your inner culinary genius!

Have a movie marathon

It’s cold outside, you’ve just ordered your food from Postmates, and all you want to do is relax in your pajamas at home. Make a night of it! Gather all your friends, make some popcorn, grab some blankets and pillows, get comfy and rewatch your favorite movie series.

Read a good book

Sometimes TV and movies are overrated. You can have the best weekend by curling up on your sofa with a blanket, a cup of hot chocolate and a good book. You finally have time to read for fun again, so you best make use of it before you have readings to get done before every class.

Have an Instagram photo shoot

If there’s good weather this weekend, why not put your edgiest outfit on and get your friend to take some quality photos of you for the ‘gram? We have a beautiful campus that begs you to discover hidden places during your quest for that Insta-worthy shot.

Sleep

Possibly the best option here. Once the semester is in full swing, you’ll find yourself sleeping for negative hours and scrambling to get all your work done. Take this time to get your 8-plus hours of sleep every night so that you’ll be relaxed and ready for the week to come!

The beginning of the semester only comes around once, so take advantage of the amount of freedom you have at the moment by exploring and making memories along the way.

Contact Ananya Sreekanth at [email protected].